Legally...

Status
Not open for further replies.

RoyalW

In Runtime
I've asked and heard of these romours of the following statements however I cant seem to find anyone who is confident in either saying its true or not.
Even the EULA (when apllicable) does not answer such things so Im not sure. Is anyone able to confirm any of these and possibly prove these.
Here's a few off the top off my head...

1 - I am allowed to copy/burn my Windows operating system CD so long as I own/bought the original CD

2 - I am allowed to install any of my Microsoft software (weather it be an OS or anything else) on my friends PC using my Product Key as long as I completly delete all data on my friends PC within 24hrs

3 - I am allowed to install my copy of Office (any version) on my own PC AND my own laptop using the same Product Key

4 - I can legally download MP3's/DVD's/DIVX's etc. So long as I own/bought the original disc otherwise, I must delete the file(s) within 24hrs

5 - If I have an OEM version of Windows (The Product Key sticker is on the side of the PC case) and I upgrade the PC's specs (and along with the case) what happens to my ownership of the Product Key?

6 - Can I resell my Windows CD and Product Key to my friend? (Especially if its registered with MS)

RyanOldw83 said:
If NZ stands for new zealand you can download whatever you want to.
is it legal to pirate in NZ?

If I have an OEM version of Windows (The Product Key sticker is on the side of the PC case) and I upgrade the PC's specs (and along with the case) what happens to my ownership of the Product Key?
You still own the KEY. It is your responseability to take whatever means you can to remove that KEY from the side of the case before you replace/disguard it.
if you change your hardware too often in XP you will be required to reactivate, but if you upgrade your motherboard/CPU or something major you will have to repair install to create updated files like hal.dll to run your new hardware

It is not legal to Pirate from anywhere but they cannot do anything if the download was from certain forein countries where there are not standing laws concerning Pirating software.

For legality sake I would be careful to stick to legal stuff

MicroBell said:
3. Yes. MS allows up to 2 installations on PC's that you own. Any more and they require you to purchase additional license for the software.

dave you sure about that? i thought you had to have individual licsences for each machine for each software you get.

so for example are you saying if i work in an office and we want to use Office XP on two of our computers we only need to buy one license of Office XP and can use it for both our machines?

or is it different in a business environment?

You can only install one copy of OS or Software eventhough you own it, on your systems. You are required by MS to have 1 License per machine for app or OS. Some vendors differ on that, but for MS's sake, it's a per machine thing.
They actually offer a multimachine licensing option for home use. When you can make lots of money, why stop?

**forgot something**

if you purchase a new version of an OS ie, XP from 98, 98 becomes free and clear from the previous license terms. You can have that one version on as many machines as you want. I can't recall where this was found, but I believe that Groklaw has some data on it somewhere. This only works for home environments though as far as I understand it. So the enterprise still has to have running licenses for all versions.

As far as I know the rule is one licence to one machine for a standard licence and they had the option to buy multiple licences or group licences.

I do belive there was a law suit between MS and another buisness for exceeding a licence limit or some thing like that.

Oberjaeger i think though if it is in another country and they did that than micorsoft or whichever software developer it was would not have to support them if they sold it. that is if they found out that it was sold.

i found this very interesting, but don't quite understand it fully. i think what it is saying is that you can install it on 2 or 3 machines depending on which version the software is and ONLY if you are the only user AND you can't use both at the same time.

the exception is the teach/ student edition where if someone in your household is also a student/ teacher all 3 of you can share the software.:

How many times can I install Office 2003 Editions?

A. You can install one copy of Office Professional Edition 2003, Office Small Business Edition 2003, and Office Standard Edition 2003 on your main computer and another on your laptop computer for your exclusive, but non-concurrent use. To install a version of these Office 2003 Editions on more than these two computers, you must obtain another license for the program. You can install Office Student and Teacher Edition 2003 on up to three computers in your household if a household member is qualified. You can work with Office 2003 Editions at your desk and when mobile. Note Licenses for the 2003 release of Office acquired preinstalled on new computers are single-computer licenses that cannot be transferred or installed on another computer.

I was told if you have an Upgrade CD of XP (Home or Pro) you can only use it on 1 computer, so by logic saying this applies only to the upgrade CD's would say that the full can be installed on a number of computers (a restricted number of course) and from what MicroBell said it is 2

Mine activated on my old computer, and on the laptop. Still within my rights though, because the old PC is dead in the water.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom