6800GT Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rouen

In Runtime
Been a while lol.

Well, I got the replacement for the eVGA 6800GT card that caught on fire while on phone with the technician (Please note my new signature), as well as a free copy of Battlefield 1942 as a "sorry we screwed up" gift. I installed the new one, and it didn't catch on fire when I put the separate line in. However, I have new problems

With a video card of this caliber, eVGA 6800GT 256MB card, I shoudl be able to run Doom 3 with all the eye candy on right? Wrong. I get about 5 to 10 FPS is I run Doom 3 on 1024x768, but i get GREAT FPS if I run it on 800x600 with AAx16 and Ultra Quality. This makes no sense, and I did update the drivers. So if someone already knows the answer to this lol please post it, but this isn't the main reason why I'm here.

This video card should more then PWN, WITH CAPITIAL LETTERS, PWN Counter Strike 1.6. And it S-U-C-K-S. Even on Direct3D video mode instead of OpenGL, the FPS drops drastically whenever I look down a very long/deep room or hallway, from 99 to 25. My 9800SE PowerColor did better! It even ran doom 3 almost as good as this card!!! So someone tell me what I can do here to fix it. This is my first nvidia purchase, and the first card was a defect as it caught on fire when I ran a separate 12V line to it, and even the technican said "Holy S**T"

So what do I do lol

I am as shocked as you are. You have an Intel, but that wouldn't make that insane difference.

I have the eVGA 6800 GT PCI-E. It runs Doom 3 @ 1280x1024 w/ AAx8 & AFx16 (in-game settings) at an average of 40 - 50 fps, sometimes dipping below 30.

Is the GPU getting enough power? 430w seems a bit less for a PCI-e card. Then again, I don't think a lack of power would decrease performance.

Can you test this GPU on another PC? It may be defective.

What ForceWare version do you have?

If it was a heating problem, I think he would be seeing artifacts rather than lousy FPS. If it hit threshold, it would simply shutdown, but that hasn't happened.

I'm going to have to agree with the power problem. I don't think a 430w PSU is enough for a PCI-E 6800 GT. But would a lack of power simply show less performance?

you guys even bother to read this part:

but i get GREAT FPS if I run it on 800x600 with AAx16 and Ultra Quality
Of course it's going to not play smooth with antialiasing at 16x dude....jesus.....a SLI'd FX-55 computer would have troubles playing that smooth.

1024x768, Ultra Settings with 2xAA is what you need to be running....

102x768, Ultra settings, with 4x aa is what I run, and my 6800GT is running 415/1120, that's past Ultra speeds, not only that, but I have more of faster RAM, and my AMD CPU at 2.4GHz is probably more efficient than your 3GHz, especially in games.....and when I run those settings it'll slow at certain points....it's a ridiculously demanding game and people seem to forget that....not to mention Ultra quality is meant for 512mb cards so it's advised you have 1gb of RAM with your AGP aperture set to 256mb

16x AA is just ridiculous

Rouen said:
Been a while lol.

Well, I got the replacement for the eVGA 6800GT card that caught on fire while on phone with the technician (Please note my new signature), as well as a free copy of Battlefield 1942 as a "sorry we screwed up" gift. I installed the new one, and it didn't catch on fire when I put the separate line in. However, I have new problems

With a video card of this caliber, eVGA 6800GT 256MB card, I shoudl be able to run Doom 3 with all the eye candy on right? Wrong. I get about 5 to 10 FPS is I run Doom 3 on 1024x768, but i get GREAT FPS if I run it on 800x600 with AAx16 and Ultra Quality. This makes no sense, and I did update the drivers. So if someone already knows the answer to this lol please post it, but this isn't the main reason why I'm here.

This video card should more then PWN, WITH CAPITIAL LETTERS, PWN Counter Strike 1.6. And it S-U-C-K-S. Even on Direct3D video mode instead of OpenGL, the FPS drops drastically whenever I look down a very long/deep room or hallway, from 99 to 25. My 9800SE PowerColor did better! It even ran doom 3 almost as good as this card!!! So someone tell me what I can do here to fix it. This is my first nvidia purchase, and the first card was a defect as it caught on fire when I ran a separate 12V line to it, and even the technican said "Holy S**T"

So what do I do lol

I have that exact same card with no problems whatsoever. It sounds like the problem lies in something else in your system, such as the CPU, RAM or even motherboard. Can you play any other games and have good gameplay? Is it just Doom III? Also right click on the desktop>properties>settings>advanced>6800 GT>Temperature and monitor temps from there, they are the most accureat measurements.

you guys even bother to read this part:
ya but look at what hes saying. hes saying that at 1024x768 ultra high and no AA he gets crap for FPS but at 800x600 ultra high 16x AA he gets great performance. dont you think thats a bit odd? what about this?
i think there is something wrong, not just the game being high demanding.

Wrong. I get about 5 to 10 FPS is I run Doom 3 on 1024x768, but i get GREAT FPS if I run it on 800x600 with AAx16 and Ultra Quality.

How does that imply that at 1024x768 that's no AA....I thought he was saying with 1024x768 with all that crap on it does horrible, but does aright with 800x600......BTW....in regards to this:

I thought nVidia cards only supported up to 8x AA and would default back to this if you tried to raise it any higher?
Probably...I know with HL2 if you tried using 6x AA it'd default to no AA....so perhaps it's not limited to purely HL2 then.... not 100% sure on that.

Well.....all I can say is make sure chipset, latest nvidia drivers are installed.....and that the power connector you got going to video card is a DEDICATED line and you don't also have a hard drive or something connected to it.....that'll take a lot of power from the card and will infact cause weird things to happen.

What's your +12v line rated at anyway?

It should be atleast 20a and even then I'd say that's cutting it a bit close perhaps

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom