Memory and motherboard/cpu matching?

Status
Not open for further replies.

basketcase421

Solid State Member
What would happen if I used ddr2100 ram with a Athlon 64 mobo/cpu? Would it work at all? I have a Athlon 2600xp w/512 ddr2100 ram. Could I use that ram if I upgrade my mobo and cpu to an Athlon 64? I know that the performance wouldn't be as good as if it were ddr3200, but I need to budget. Any thoughts?:bald:

im assuming u mean PC2100 and PC3200...u can use it with any mobo pretty much that has SDRAM DDR dimms. Which covers every mobo in the last few years. so yes!

BTW, PC3200 = DDR400, PC2700 = DDR333, etc etc

Does the motherboard you will be putting the ram in support PC2100 ram? Look at the specs online, if it supposrts it then it should "work".

...LOL

It depends on the motherboard, but I don't see any reason why it shouldn't work.

By the way, its DDR-226 PC-2100 or DDR-550 PC-4400.
DDR-2100 doesn't exist, though I do wonder how it would perform.

*EDIT
@dhw
Hah, posted at the same time. I guess he gets two explanations.

Yeah, lol. Thats what I meant. pc2100. Would this be advisable? what kind of performance hit will I see if I use the slower memory?

Thanks.

basketcase421 said:
Yeah, lol. Thats what I meant. pc2100. Would this be advisable? what kind of performance hit will I see if I use the slower memory?

Thanks.

That really depends upon what kind of work loads you plan to throw on the computer. If you aren't running heaving duty things at the same time, it will be virtually the same. However, if you do load a bunch of apps simultaneously, the difference between PC-2100 & PC-4400 is quite obvious.

Thanks for the input. Mainly what I use this system for is playing games. And at this current time it is mostly just WoW. But, I like look into my options for upgrading.
:bald:

I think RAM is more a basis for simultaneous app running. Unless you want to play 3 games of WoW at the same time, higher quality RAM won't give you a gigantic FPS increase.

Hmmm... 3 games at one time... I had never thought of that!!! I could level 3 guys at once!!! HEHE

Seriously though, I'm not that big of an addict. Though my girlfriend may argue with me on that one.

Thanks for the info Calzinger!

:) :) :) :) :) :D

u need a gig of RAM to play one game of WoW

basketcase421 said:
Though my girlfriend may argue with me on that one.

U wanna keep her? Stop playing altogether. I puporsely stopped myself and cut down to just a couple hours a day at most before i asked mine out. it worked :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom