Want to upgrade, but to what???

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't really want to spend $400 on the upgrade in total, but that is the absolute max. If I could go for about $350, $300 would be great. If that isn't possible, then I may just go with what elbatrop said.

Thanks in advance,

Jon

"Try this:

MSI K8N Neo4-F Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail $87.00

AMD Athlon 64 3000+ Venice Integrated into Chip FSB 512KB L2 Cache Socket 939 Processor - Retail $146.00

eVGA 128-P2-N368-TX Geforce 6600GT 128MB 128-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card - Retail $169.00

Total: $402"

If I were to get this, what would happen if I put in ddr2100 memory in here? Would it work, or do I NEED to buy new ram too? If it would work, would this affect performance? I am thinking about upgrading my systems mobo and cpu, and would hate to let the ram I got go to waste.

Thanks.:)

In that case, you may want to go with what Elbatrop said. The only potential trouble I see there is the lack of a supportive PSU. The last thing you want to do is supply good parts with a lousy PSU. You may end up buying the parts twice.

I'm not sure, but your computer looks pretty good. Maybe you should just buy some better ram and overclock your 3.0 to 3.6 or 3.8. All your specs look good for what you are doing. 64 bit won't come for a while, so you can wait, especially when you have a computer that more than suits your needs. If you really want to get better graphics, then get a 6600GT also.

Thanks, I have been debating whether to upgrade now or wait. I guess I'll wait, maybe even long enough for prices to drop gradually.

I have a few questiosn about overclocking. I'm a total newb, don't even know where to start. How much can I overclock this cpu and still stay with the cooling I have (case fans/stock heatsink)? Maybe I can get a new heatsik, but I don't want water cooling or anything extreme.

If you plan to overclock your CPU, you will without a doubt need a new heatsink. Look into the Thermalright XP-90. It has had outstanding reviews. There's a Zalman outhere or something; someone may want to provide more information on it.

OK, I will look at that. I have 1024 ram of EByte Value Ram, I suppose this will present a problem?

Everyone that I have talked to says that value ram "can't" be overclocked. This is unclear to me, but can you overclock the cpu without OCing the ram?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom