1.5 GB or 1 GB

Status
Not open for further replies.

strategist333

In Runtime
Is it better for me to have 1.5 GB DDR333 or 1 GB DDR400?

I also have shared graphics 128 MB, so subtract that from the RAM sizes.

No dual channel support, will be used for compiling databases, not primarily for gaming/photo editing/video editing, although maybe occasionally.

Thanks

More or faster.....hmmmmmm.......you are not using memory intensive programs. You might as well buy the newer memory. (1 gig of PC3200) Even if your mobo supported dc it will improve bandwidth and only be helpful for very intensive audio, video or graphics programs. shared graphics? Your system uses RAM for video processing? Buy a AGP video card and you can avoid systems slow downs because of the shared graphics issues.

What is your fsb speed?
I have Turion ML-37 (HyperTransport up to 1600 MHz).

Your system uses RAM for video processing? Buy a AGP video card and you can avoid systems slow downs because of the shared graphics issues.

I'm NOT doing video processing, maybe for experimentation once or twice, but no.. mainly used for database compiling (my dad) and light, not-very-graphics-intensive gaming (I don't mind slow frame rates, but my current laptop has 2.3 MB video memory..) And besides, its IGP, meaning upgrading will be hard due to lack of physical space in the laptop.. I guess I should have mentioned it was a laptop.

HP charges way-overpriced RAM sticks, as does most other manufacturers, so I don't know what you mean by cheap.. Crucial memory for DDR333 and DDR400 cost about the same ($5-10 difference). Yeah.. it is degrading the laptop, but I don't want to risk voiding my warranty by opening the laptop to remove the RAM chip if the RAM slot in under the keyboard.

I'll probably end up buying 1 GB DDR400, and then waiting to make sure everything works before opening my laptop up..

Continue to give suggestions though! Thanks

You don't even need a second thought, 1GB of 400 will outperform the 1.5 333 any day, in past or future! :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom