Which is faster?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maxtors are known to die out quickly. On my ol' p3 450mhz I had to replace it after a year - with another maxtor (it's what they sent us) but the new maxtor is going strong, but is load, very load. Sounds like a car going over gravel.

That was a old one, but they are still known to be unreliable. They are not any cheaper either.

Calzinger said:
This NCQ garbage on the Seagate's is supposed to really increase the performance and speed of your drive. Comparing it to the old 7200 rpm on my Dell, it was nearly 75% quicker, but then again, how fast could that ol' Dell possibly be.

I would have to suggest Seagate with NCQ (Native Command Queue. You can find out more at the Seagate website, but in a nutshell, it's supposed to handle the drive more dynamically when working with it, resulting in faster access. For the 300GB 7200RPM NCQ Seagate I have, I have to say, I didn't notice a difference in loading Far Cry between me and my cousin who has a 10000RPM Raptor.

I do believe that your SATA controller must support NCQ as well as the drive to make use of it however.

Have owned Seagate and WD drives entire time. Seagates in SCSI, WD's in SATA, and both in IDE. No failures at all, don't plan on touching a maxtor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom