Pc Dead Silent

Status
Not open for further replies.

ghensenyuy

Baseband Member
I have a pentium II PC which is a Compaq. I got up this morning, turned on the machine and it gave no beep, It was dead silent and did not display on the screen.
what can be the cause of this please

SHAWN said:
Dead motherboard, bad RAM, bad CPU, *AGE*
Age? I still have a 486DX2 that I like to play around on sometimes and it's still going strong.

probably the power supply. Double check the power socekt its plugged into has power as well. Could be all of the above though. Are you willing to put some money into it?

003 said:
Age? I still have a 486DX2 that I like to play around on sometimes and it's still going strong.

And do you use this 486 regularly, like everyday? Probably not.

@ghensenyuy
I'd have to say check the power in your house or try another outlet. It would just seem wierd that all of a sudden on one morning it would stop working. It may be old, but if were to stop working from damaged overworked hardware, then it would just stop while being used, not fry itself overnight when it's not being used.

It is a new PC. Not a 486. I have changed the RAMS and the power supply but no way. Daapleby what do u mean by asking if i wanna spend money? If that will solve ma prob why not?

Hmmmm...........powering on is a big issue......an initial power up may be all that is needed to kill the psu if it is "sick". Obvioulsy, unless you spilled a beer on the mobo the night before when it was powered down, "nothing is going to be damaged" but the initial power up is a big stress for a weakened system. If you have another psu laying around somewhere, swap it out and see what happens. If it has been a reliable puter and you don't mind spending a little time evaluating it, it's worth the effort. If you can afford to upgrade do it! Part it out and forget about it!

Sorry ghensenyuy. I was directing my "486" question at 003 in response to its sarcasm.

If you don't have a spare PSU, I remember there being a way of testing the functionality of the PSU without having it connected to the motherboard. It involves like removing and reconnecting one of the 20pin motherboard power wires to "fool" it into thinking a motherboard is connected. Sorry I can't provide more information on that, but search online and I'm sure you can find if th ePSU is your problem.

problem persists

I have tried to change the power supply with a good one from another system i have. I still have the same problem. I have also changed the processor but no way.
Any other suggestions?

There is no reason that the motherboard should be dead.

If nothing is showing any signs of life and a new PSU doesn't work either, then I'm thinking it may be a power problem. Try plugging the PSU into another outlet. The outlet you are using now may very well be dead or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom