Status
Not open for further replies.

Abercrombie

Baseband Member
Ok, I have a quick question what would be better to run servers
amd Sempron 3000 1024mb
amd 64 3400 1024mb
intel 3.0HT 1024mb
And can you also estimate how many slots each one can hold all together?

Aberceombie,

I used to rent a server from servermatrix

I had a Dual Xeon 2.4ghz with H/T
1.5GB memory and 2 18gb scsi drives

I ran 4 game servers off it. They were all Day of Defeat (mod of HL). I had a 14man pub, 32man pub and two 16man private. Everything ran smooth.

I would say if you get anything over 2.4ghz with 1GB + ram and a decent 10mbit+ uplink you should be able to run 2 gameservers with 24-28 players per server.

You really need to just set one up and see what type of resources it uses and use your best judgement to decide on how many more servers/players can be added

Abercrombie said:
Ok, I have a quick question what would be better to run servers
amd Sempron 3000 1024mb
amd 64 3400 1024mb
intel 3.0HT 1024mb
And can you also estimate how many slots each one can hold all together?

If yer just running a CS server, any of those will do fine. What's more important the server connection and the type of content you'll be providing (custom maps, map uploading, textures, sounds, ect.)

In the end, though, you just have to fire things up and see what happens. Start with about 20 slots, and if things are really smooth, bump it up (if you want that many shmucks on yer box). If things are laggy, get rid of some slots and try again. It also depends on how you like to run your CS games.

When I ran a CS server, I only put up 12 slots during normal times, because 6vs6 felt like good teams to me, even though my server could support 24 easily. My DoD box ran all 32 slots well, and I kept it at 32 for most games because DoD is great with lots of people. It's up to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom