Act! application problem with shared database

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. LL

In Runtime
I have been having problems with Act! from Best software. The main problems I have is that it will run slow from the other PC's that share the database. It runs fine from the machine that acts as the server. Here is the setup......

PC1 = Server, PC2 = Office1, PC3 = Office2. All PC run at about 600 mhz with 128mb ram.
DSL modem --> D-link switch --> D-Link wireless router. The switch connects another router that doesn't go through the wireless router.

Problem: Office1 and Office2 have slow performance when using DB on Server, there are around 4500 contacts in the DB I don't know if this is too many for this application or not. The most noticeable problem is when using the contact list when you click the up arrow or try to press the up button on the key board it moves very sluggish but the server can view the contact list just fine. I copied the DB to the Office1 and 2 PC and it seemed fine. After rebooting all PC's Office1 and 2 can use the DB contact list without problem over the network until the server opens the contact list, after the server opens the contact list Office1 and 2 slow down until all PC's are rebooted.

All PC's have been patched and updated, Act! has been updated on all PC's.

The wireless connection signal to the server was bad so I moved the wireless router so the signal was stronger but had the same problems. I can't think of any more details. If anyone has any ideas of what could be the problem please let me know.

What operating systems are you running that you have 128mb of ram. 128 isnt alot... Also D-Link products aren't that great.

All the PC's run Windows 2000 Pro, the server has 256mb RAM, still low but it exceeds the minimum requirements.

I though about hard wiring all of them but I don't think it will help because all of the PC's work fast until the server goes into the contact list. Right now a dedicated server is not viable.

EDIT: I think the machines are more like 750mhz

you need to go hardwire. wireless isn't what you want for what you are trying to do. also you might want to invest in the gigabit network which moves at 1000mbps as oppose to 10/100 mbps. trust me when I tell that it is way faster. you won't get an increase in internet activity with gigabit, but you will in network and server duty

Okay, I will have to try and wire them and see if that helps. One thing I did is disabled WEP and that made it a little better. I am filtering by MAC and diabled broadcasting too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom