Windows Vista Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Latest Microsoft operating systems, including the latest versions of Windows Server 2003, Windows 2000 Server, Windows 2000 Professional, Windows 2000 Advanced Server, Windows XP Professional Edition, Windows XP Home Edition, and future Windows releases. Usage rights are limited to development and testing only.

Yes you should have access to Longhorn revision 5048 or higher I don't know because 5048 is the limit on my subscription level.

• =================
    Hardware Requirements
    =================
Desktop CPU: 3 GHz Intel Pentium 4 processor with HyperThreading Technology 530 (or higher) or 3 GHz Intel Xeon processor with 2 MB L2 cache, or AMD Athlon 64, Sempron, or Opteron 100, 200, or 800 processor, single or dual-core versions.

Mobile CPU: 1.86 GHz Intel Pentium M processor 750 (or higher), or AMD Turion 64 Mobile Technology, Mobile Sempron, or Mobile Athlon 64 processor.

RAM: 512 MB of RAM or more, all platforms.

I'm dissapointed by these hardware Requirements released by microsoft. These are subject to change but this is what we can expect. My CPU is a 2.40 Pentium 4 and I have 480 RAM. I can upgrade my ram but I'm the type of persion if I need to update my processor I'm just gonna build a new PC. These are pretty high tech and I would guess that computers that are made in 2005 may have to be on the higher end to run Longhorn smoothly. This is no reason to stay behind and not update with the times though. If the future needs a certen level of power from our hardware I suggest it is time to update.

I'd also like to add Longhorn BETA 1 will be released sometime this July.

I believe the steep requirements are because of a 3D-rendered desktop. From what I've read, none of the new Longhorn features even interest me. It looks like its basically going to be all eye candy, which is not what I look for in an OS.

If you do not update you will be lost in time. The newest features besides avolon and indigo are Longhorn only, Office 12, New Software. Look There is a new .net framework for Longhorn only new software will use this framework and then all of the 2000 and XP users will be left behind eventually if they wait, wouldn't you want to continue using all that great software. There is no doubt in my mind Win2000 will be discontinued like 95-ME after all it's almost over 5 years old. Office 12 is taking a new step and will only be for Longhorn and higher don't you want microsoft office, sure open office is good but it cannot touch microsoft office. Heck even the piraters can't use this office untill they upgrade. If these requirments stop you from getting longhorn prepair to be left behind.

My mistake XP and Server 2003 will get the .net2.0 in service packs when Longhorn is released but still 2000 will be left behind.

There are some scary rumors I'm hearing that Longhorn will now not include the sidebar this is very dissapointing I hope they are not true.

This is what worries me...

Microsoft corporate vice president Joe Peterson said it's probably gone for good.

That "left behind" crap is garbage. I would never consider purchasing Longhorn for like $300 so I have the privelidge to spend another few hundred bucks on thier new office software. And, if those cpu specs are close to correct, my use of Microsoft operating systems will stop with XP. They got enough of my money already.

If you have XP you will not be left behind. I know the hardware requirments are sharp but it's because of the graphic user interphase and yes they are from microsoft themselves as accurate as can be (last I checked).

That's the problem with Microsoft, whats the need for such a demanding GUI? Don't they realize forcing users to upgrade hardware will hinder sales.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom