Do i need a fast processor for graphic design and 3d modeling

Status
Not open for further replies.

goca

Baseband Member
Do i need a fast processor for graphic design and 3d modeling, im will be using photoshop, macromedia flas, and programs like that, and 3D Studio Max!

Will i need a fast processor for these, and also could you suggest any specifications i should use in my computer that i will be using.

Thanx guys!

Graphic design mainly uses a lot of Memory

I use photoshop and macromedia flash/dreamweaver and have started to work with Adobe illustrator as well.

I have a Pentium 4 2.8ghz with H/T and 1.5GB of DDR3200 memory. Everything runs just fine.

Also make sure you have a good graphics card.

goca said:
Do i need a fast processor for graphic design and 3d modeling, im will be using photoshop, macromedia flas, and programs like that, and 3D Studio Max!

Will i need a fast processor for these, and also could you suggest any specifications i should use in my computer that i will be using.
Big question there, bud.

Depends entirely on the following:

1. What app you're using to design
2. How detailed your designs are
3. What effects you're using

Next you need to realize that Flash and Photoshop do not compare (in performance req) to 3DSM (or any modeling environment).

If you're using 3DSM to model low-poly game models, a mid-range PC will do fine. If you're modeling high-detailed models/scenes, you'll need a fast machine. If you're going to do 3D effects (especially fluids and dynamic textures), you'll need a very fast machine.

RAM is a basic constant. The more you have, the more the application can load up and work with, which makes things run faster (and sometimes run at all). If you're doing mid-range modeling, a gig will suffice. Any higher, and you should be looking at 2 gig and beyond.

Also, remember that you can model with any graphics card, but in order to see an accurate rendering, you must have a card that can support what you're doing. Speed is irrelevant, but the faster the card, the faster you get your previews and renderings.

Oh, and you'll need some money, too. 3DSM is NOT cheap, and although Flash is much cheaper, it's still not cheap. Yer looking at probably $6,000+ for 3DSM and around $400 for Flash base, and $700 for the Professional version.

Just for reference, I do a lot of work in 3D Studio Max 6. Its not professional work its more 3D design for my personal use and fun, but I am running a P4 2.4 ghz HT with 2 gigs of RAM and a Sapphire 9800 Pro 256/256. It works pretty good for 3DS with mid to high detailed objects, but you have to take into effect other variables like zoom and the different options 3DS has built in that allows you to work with high detailed objects on slower machines. The only thing I run into trouble is long render times.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom