Two Operating systems

Status
Not open for further replies.

prasanna

Beta member
Previously I had Windows 98 and Windows XP installed in my computer. Windows 98 was in C Drive and Windows XP was in D drive. I used to get a screen which used to give me options to boot in 98 or in XP. I used to select one of them and boot.

Some time before, I had to reinstall Windows 98. So I formatted C drive and reinstalled Windows 98. Windows XP was not affected. All windows XP files are still there in D drive. But since C drive has been formatted, I dont get the screen from which I could select the OS. Now my computer always boots in Windows 98. But windows XP files are still there in D drive.

How can I boot in XP now??

Thanks

the reason for that is xp supports multiple os's 98 does not. When you installed 98 it killed the boot loader. You can download programs that make boot loaders for you. Some one else may have a link to offer, I do not.

Re:

Hello,

Couldn't he just boot into the Windows XP Recovery console and re-write the Master Boot Record in command prompt using fixmbr...?

Whatever you do I would make it my first priority to backup any important data either by burning or transfering it to another volume, or slaving it on another PC.

Well, I know of a way, but it's nuts. My dad devised this idea.

It's been four years, so I'll do the best I can to remember.

He set BIOS to boot off floppy as first device. Then, using a working computer with XP and 2000, he created a bootdisk with ntldr, boot.ini, etc. So, if this floppy was in the drive, you would get a boot menu with 2000 and XP. If not, 98 came up as normal.

I don't recommend this idea (esp. since I can't quite remember how he did it), because of its inconvenience to you. But, it is an option.

if major was online he could tell you how to modify the boot.ini file. get partiton magic. use pq boot or set the other partion to active. disc management in XP has this option but you can't reach it right now. when you get to xp use fixmbr to restore it's boot record. I use PM to run a dual boot system so I won't encounter these problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom