Win 98 onto a Win 2K Drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

kevsmovies1

Solid State Member
I've just installed Windows 2000 onto a new HD in quite an old machine (P2) for a neighbour.
He has a bit of equipment that he didn't tell me is happiest on Win 98 (According to the rubbish manufacturers who can't be bothered to tweak the software!!!).

He now wants me to put Windows 98 back onto the drive instead of Windows 2000.......

My question is, a) is it possible to do and b) where do I start!

I formatted the drive with NTFS when installing 2KPro and I fear this is where the problems are going to start.

He's put the 98 disc in and rebooted and it loads straight into 2000 with no option, which is what I expected it to do.

If anyone has any helpful pointers & guidance it would be most welcome.

Cheers.

Kev.

Well as you probably know you are going to have to format the HD again to FAT or FAT32 (preferably the later). I'm pretty sure you can do a quick format.

As far as the CD not booting. Try going into the bios and puting the CD before the HD and save and exit. Or if you don't want to change anything permanant you could just press F12 when the computer is booting up to select which drive you would like to boot up on. Hope that helps.

-Aaron

Thanks for the info.

Do you know what the process is for formatting the HDD, either quick or otherwise, I'm sure I've done it once but a long time ago and I can't remember where to start at all at the moment!

if you have a win98 boot disk "format" is on there. If not you can get it from...http://www.bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm. Grab a windows 98 SE disk either one will work i'm sure.

At the command prompt just type "format c: /FS:FAT32 /Q" and hit yes when it asks you to. And in case you didn't know you have to boot up on the floppy. You can't do it from inside of windows.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom