6800 GT vs. 7800 GT

Status
Not open for further replies.
i wanted to tell you this earlier...

sell your x800 on ebay, cuz when the new ones come out then you won't sell it for shit... so sell it now... then wait for the X900's, and save up and get one of those..
meanwhile, use a crappy card like a 9200 you find in your garage or something, so you won't die until you get your new one...

i would still get the ATI, unless the G70 drops like 200 dollars in price to make it worth it, or if the R520 will cost something out of space like $650 which hopefully won't... :)

pc_boy said:
i would still get the ATI, unless the G70 drops like 200 dollars in price to make it worth it, or if the R520 will cost something out of space like $650 which hopefully won't... :)

Well...it is rumored to be even more expensive. It also looks like it's having some problems right now on the stability side.

Well...it is rumored to be even more expensive. It also looks like it's having some problems right now on the stability side.
they are trying to out do Nvidia but they are failing badly. It has very unstable pipelines and the drivers they are vreating for it are aslo very unstable. not to mention i think i heard somewhere that the memory timings or clock was unstable as well.

macdawg said:
an X800 to a 6800GT is barely an upgrade, and not worth worrying about for $350.

In a way thats true, which is why I didn't do this a long time ago when everybody started urging me to and I started having problems with my X800Pro at the release of Doom 3. The advantages to the 6800 GT is SM3.0, more stable drivers, better OpenGL support and about 15% more speed in Direct3D games than the X800Pro.

On paper, it doesn't seem like much of an upgrade. However, I've heard of people making the move to the 6800 GT from the X800 Pro and they were amazed by the difference in performance and stability. I've heard others though say they were not impressed by the image quality of the 6800 GT...basically saying the X800 Pro gives a sharper, crisper image. I've never seen a 6800 card in action, because the only guy I know who has one is one of my worst enemies. I just wish I had a way to compare the two cards for myself so I could see if its really worth the upgrade.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom