Check My Upcoming System

Status
Not open for further replies.
err whats your budget? Why the hell are you not getting an a64 and ddr400 ram? that pc kinda sucks, espesially the x600pro lmao
Everyone has different needs, I've seen you step out of line rudely like this in the past, don't do it again.

He's using an Opteron, the server/workstation equivelent of the Athlon 64 (good luck finding a best buy that carries Opterons dhw :p). You'll definetely want to put some DDR400 is there when you get the chance, I figure the ECC stuff is just too expensive at this point for you?

Apart from that and the other parts you've specified will change, it looks good.

BTW Megadeath, please read the rules and resize your signature.

That's a REALLY unbalaned system if your gaming

And Tyran motherboard's are good dual processor mobo's

gaara said:
Everyone has different needs, I've seen you step out of line rudely like this in the past, don't do it again.

He's using an Opteron, the server/workstation equivelent of the Athlon 64 (good luck finding a best buy that carries Opterons dhw :p). You'll definetely want to put some DDR400 is there when you get the chance, I figure the ECC stuff is just too expensive at this point for you?

Apart from that and the other parts you've specified will change, it looks good.

BTW Megadeath, please read the rules and resize your signature.
Yes, but he clearly states in the first post "Fedora Core 3 + Gaming + Maya + Usual!". The opteron will suck for any of that, especially with an x600pro (however he says it will be changed). I just asked his budget so I might be able to suggest a much better PC.

Look, budget is $350/400 for only processor, motherboard, and maybe the heatsink. The RAM is free cause I have 2 gigs of reg. ecc ram sitting here doing nothing. I want an AMD, what I'm not going to burn my wallet doing it.

The X600Pro will be changed and so will the case & PSU. I figure if it can hold its own against my P4 Presshot, then it'll definitely hold its own against an Opteron.

Look, my main concern is RAM. I have 2 gigs of Registered RAM DDR266 ECC which I can run in a dual channel configuration. I would sell it and get an A64, but I can't because my Dad pulled it out from a server at work and he brought it home with approval but it isn't his property. They can still ask him about it, later on and if he doesn't have it then that is a serious offense. So, that warrants an Opteron and I won't let 2 gigs of ram sit there.

Secondly, 003, the A64 is just the same as an Opteron except with a higher HTT (939), 1 single HTT link, and an unbuffered memory controller. That doesn't mean that the Opteron can't do the same stuff as an A64. In theory performance should be very similar. In edition, I like the fact that it uses a server board because that literally means your computer will usually never crash due to a hardware problem. That is great because there are certain things I want to do later on where the additional stability will help.

Oh, and I'd like to point out: GAMING AS IN OCCASIONAL COMP GAMER, NOT ALL THE TIME, NOT THE KIND THAT WOULD NEED A 6800GT, THE KIND THAT WOULD BE HAPPY WITH A 6600 OR AN x700pRO.

Yes, but he clearly states in the first post "Fedora Core 3 + Gaming + Maya + Usual!". The opteron will suck for any of that, especially with an x600pro (however he says it will be changed). I just asked his budget so I might be able to suggest a much better PC.
Maya is a 3D Rendering program, and Fedora Core 3 is a Linux based project. He also specified he will be doing little gaming. The opteron is the ideal choice for two thirds of the above tasks.

If you have any problems please PM me and we can continue this privately.

Gonna order in the morning, so just if you have any last thoughts post 'em. In addition, I hope you understand my reasons for going with an Opteron over an Athlon 64.

My suggestion is to sell the ram and when the company asks your dad for the ram back, buy the same kind off of ebay. By the time the company will want the ram returned, the prices will have fallen on ddr ecc registered ram and you can make a hefty profit :D :D :D .

This isn't company man, this is the NJ State Government. My Dad is a state employee, an SQL/Oracle DBA to be exact. And no, I would never dream of doing that.

This isn't company man, this is the NJ State Government. My Dad is a state employee, an SQL/Oracle DBA to be exact. And no, I would never dream of doing that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom