upgrading my pc: any suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

willjoe325

Solid State Member
Hi! I bought Battlefield 2 a couple of days ago, although it wouldn't run on my current system. I built my computer myself. It has:

AMD athlon 2600 1.9ghz
Powercolor radeon 9200
512 mb ddr ram
120 gb hard drive
asus motherboard

I was thinking of upgrading my processor, graphics card, and motherboard to:

AMD 64 bit processor
New motherboard to accomodate it
New graphics card- I was thinking an X700 pci express card

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. thanks

An AMD 64 would be a good step, but how fast?

DFI motherboard is good for overclocking.

If you're planning to get a pci-e gpu, then you obviously want a mobo that can support it. You may then also need a new PSU, but that all depends upon your current one.

I would go with a 6800 GT though if you can afford it. It works perfectly with 64 bots on my computer (note that 64 bots is well beyond the supported limit, requiring much more power). If that's too expensive, well, the 6600 GT will run fantastic with toned down settings.

Graphics card is the only thing holding you back, but I would also go for a gig of ram as well

well really we need to know how much money u have to spend and want ot spend on this thing and it looks like u need a new computer all together. But u need new mobo 939 socket with pci-e16x and then ull need at least 512 try for a gig but then ull want a 6600gt or if u have the $ get 6800gt
about 3200 for the amd but 300 at the least

Gar.

You could get a 3200+ Venice for around $190.
An SLI motherboard would be around $180 let's say.
A 6800 GT PCI-E would be around $360.
A 6600 GT is around $160.

I think that 6600 GT would suit your budget perfectly.

There are only two things you need for your upgrade. 6800GT AGP, which costs around 280, and 512 more mb of ram. Other than that, your fine.

Do what you were planning on doing, except get a 6600 GT graphics card instead of an X700 Pro. Much better performance in the same price range. BF2 is a pretty demanding game. I would get at least 1GB of RAM as well. 512MB is not quite enough for that game, its the most memory intensive game I've ever seen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom