sticky technical FAQ's

Status
Not open for further replies.

ekÆsine

Fully Optimized
i think having a sticky at the top of each section about common technical questions is a must-have feature on this forum. for example i see that forums like overclockers.com have a sticky 'how to overclock' topic in their hardware section.

i am getting tired of posting answers to the same questions over and over again. i think we could increase efficiency by doing this simple thing. the 'tips 'n tricks' section is simply not enough.

i volunteer to help organize a project for this purpose. we could collect information from users on this forum on common technical questions and submit them to the admins who would make them sticky in the appropriate sections on this forum.

ekÆsine....

Sounds Good.
Question, I guess your very knowledgeable about "over clocking"?

Meaning, if people post tips, how to, etc on over clocking, you could "validate it"?

I think I have a good idea if you answer 'yes' to both questions.

Thanks

Larry actually no, my field of expertise is only Photoshop and graphics design for purposes like website layouts. my experience with computer hardware and software is general, but broad.

i think for the purposes of making technical stickys is that people constantly come on this forum and post over and over redundant questions like:
---------------------------------------------
how do i overclock my amd cpu?

how do i set up a small home/ office network to share the internet?

what do all these memory specifications mean and what memory can i put into my computer?
----------------------------------------------

so what i was thinking is have a "technical FAQ" for each section of tech-heaven. i think something like a directory listing or table of contents is what we need. the pages that are linked would essentially a guide or tutorial.

knowledgable users on this forum could contribute ideas and maybe someone like an administrator could compile those ideas together into one topic and link it on the FAQ.

example of a listing in a FAQ:

13) How to partition and format
14) Movie editting and creation
15) Ripping, compressing, and editting audio

Back to your idea.

I do think its good!

However, organizing it to make the "theory" of the idea turn into "reality"...

know what I mean? :)

So, Your "sticky" would be "Graphic Design with Photoshop" ?

uhm... My brain is "spinning"... I will be back with more stuff.

let me know what you think...
OR anyone else
:)

thanks

I think thats an awesome idea. I would be more than glad to contribute any knowledge I have for these things. I think it would solve a lot of peoples responses without even having to post, so that more time can be spent on the users that are having more 'in depth' issues...

Larry said:
So, Your "sticky" would be "Graphic Design with Photoshop" ?

i could definately help with creating one for graphics section, but that is not what i meant. let me rephrase larry, each section of this forum would have one sticky only, not a bunch of stickies all over the place. example: "software and operating system Technical FAQ's"

now each FAQ in each section is basically a table of contents, an active directory, an index, a reference chart. the concept is the same. the FAQ would have a list of questions and simply link it to a thread or page with the answers.

as it is right now our current FAQ is on how to get help if you have problems using the forum, relatively unhelpful.

Wonderful idea. I'd also be willing to expand the FAQs with some fun, common questions/answers about networking, hardware and whatever else I can help out with.

-Mike

looks like we have ADZ, RyanOldw83, mikesgroovin, and me who are already volunteering to help with this project. we could set up a topic to ask people who can contribute their knowledge or wisdom (not the same thing) to the tutorials.

once we get this information database compiled maybe some of us can spend less time answering the same questions and have time to find a social life, hehe....or maybe not:eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom