Good, cheap laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.
I also have a compaq and have had it since 2001, used it a ton, and never had any problems with it. It's a bit outdated but that's all. (Well of'course it's outdated I bought it in 2001.)

Well it's a desktop but still...

Well I swear by mine. It is a business class laptop but I have had it for 2 years now and never had a hardware problem, never had it fail on me yet. It is solid and studry, and like I said I dropped it and it still works fine, I can take some pictures of it if you would want to see where it cracked and it still turns on and works great.

Well, I'm going to look into Compaq, and maybe give them a chance. They really never got a chance with me, as since I knew about computers I had the notion of Compaq being synonymous with bad. I may have been disproven, so I will check them out. Need lots of suggestions though! I need something excellent to sell to my mother.

:bump:

Sorry to bump this, but it is rather important. I NEED a laptop, and money is a huge issue here, so I want to try to get the cheapest out possible.

My company uses three brands of laptops. From what I have seen, as far as quality they rank as follows:

#1 IBM
#2 Compaq/HP
#3 Dell

Even the Dells at #3 do pretty well. The thing I have seen the most with them is kind of minor stuff like keyboard keys falling off.

That is the most advise I can give since thoughs are the only brands I am familiar with.

Him said:
Well, powerslave, my laptop is going to fall under your "other stuff" catergory. A Celeron will be quite sufficient for me.

Then this is the one for you!

PS if you want a really nice laptop, go with IBM, they have kick ass laptops. Very high quality. My dad has one, never had a problem with it ever. Plus, they are really fast.

Him said:
:bump:

Sorry to bump this, but it is rather important. I NEED a laptop, and money is a huge issue here, so I want to try to get the cheapest out possible.

How much money do you have man? if you want i'll start searching for some cheap ones. Like the one i have now, Only problem is after an hour or so of use, it tends to run hot and gets uncomfortable if 'your actually using it on you lap.It has a nice 15" screen though.

i know that IBM is great, should be common knowledge. :) IBM just plain out kicks ass, makes some absolutely killer laptops. Problem is, since you get what you pay for, their stuff is a wee bit on the expensive side. :confused:

I really only have like $600 or $700, with, obviously, less being the best! I just need reliablility here, it seems as though I cannot express that enough. I dont want someone comming in here and saying "That one sucks! It only has a 1.4! Get opne that has a 3.2 with a 6600GT!" You know it will only be a matter of time before sombody comes in saying that.

Powerslave, that would be awesome if you are willing to do that for me. Remember, the less money spent the better! I am going off to college, and I will need beer money. ;)

And thye heat thing, thats something that comes with the territory. I am fully expecting it to get hot after nominal use. Like the one that I have(had) gets really hot after like 20 minutes. It's an IBM, I got it 2nd hand (free) and it already had some serious battle damage. But i tried to install Linux, and it died.

What is everyones take on Acer? I have never heard anything really on them, and I'm not sure whether or not they suck. It seeems as though they are the cheapest so far at $650 for a decent laptop.

I have an acer laptop too, it's very old like p3 600 old. Dropped it from a meter and it still works

Here's more on the acer, however my 3dmark was 79, their's is a bit off (and my averatec is the 3200 which is slightly slower, different processor, HD and ra m)

http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=2145&review=Averatec+3250

This laptop is durable. This thing goes mountain biking with me, and to and from school everday on my mountain bike for half an hour.

However the touchpad is flakey, sometimes mine doesnt work (rarely) and the paint has rubbed off the metal in some places

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom