Build a PC from Scratch or Buy Manufactured.

Status
Not open for further replies.

uthscsa19

Baseband Member
I was wondering what would be cheaper for me to do. Im on a pretty tight budget, as I am a College Student. I will mostly be using this computer for work related stuff however. I work alot on Photoshop, large Powerpoint/Word files (50-100MB), learning 3ds Max 7, abit of Corel, and mainly web-browsing. I'd also like it to be able to connect to my HDTV, and use that as my primary monitor. Its a 32in Zenith 4:3 1080i CRT TV monitor. It has DVI or components, and I've seen the 6600GT refrenced alot for this use. I will be buying a wireless keyboard/mouse set to use this from my coffee table/lap. Im still flip-floping between an Intel Prescott 3.0ghz 530J, or a AMD Venice 3200+. I'd like to have atleast 1GB of Ram, and atleast a 100GB SATA HD. Built in soundcard will do. Like i said, I have a paltry budget, of 500-700 US $.

Would dropping to a 3000+ and overclocking save me money? I've heard that the Venice Processors are good for OC'ing on stock fans. Anyways, is this doable on this sorta budget?

I would build, on higher end computers manufactuers seem to rip you off even more.

however, on the cheaper end I got an emachine, 17 inch monitor, keyboard, mouse and speakers for $199.99 which is basically unbeatable.

However, since it is higher end that you want I would build

Time and time again this question is asked, and the only answer anyone can honestly give you, is:

"If you have the knowledge, time, and desire to build your own, build your own. If you do not, do not."

I have wanted to build my own. But I want the best bang for my buck, especially since I dont have much money. I really only the the computer itself, no monitor/keyboard/mouse/externals. I'd really like to overclock it too, but it would by my first computer build from scratch. I have upgraded my dell abit, but a P3 modded only goes so far. It has served me well for 3-4 years, but its time for it to become my secondary computer. What I am really asking is, if i spend $600 buying parts seperatly, would I end up with a better computer ( stats wise ) that if i were to buy from dell/ibuypower/other? Like I said, more bang for my buck. I'd love to build it on my own, picking and choosing, but not if its going to cost performance wise against a company built one.

uthscsa19 said:
I was wondering what would be cheaper for me to do. Im on a pretty tight budget, as I am a College Student. I will mostly be using this computer for work related stuff however. I work alot on Photoshop, large Powerpoint/Word files (50-100MB), learning 3ds Max 7, abit of Corel, and mainly web-browsing. I'd also like it to be able to connect to my HDTV, and use that as my primary monitor. Its a 32in Zenith 4:3 1080i CRT TV monitor. It has DVI or components, and I've seen the 6600GT refrenced alot for this use. I will be buying a wireless keyboard/mouse set to use this from my coffee table/lap. Im still flip-floping between an Intel Prescott 3.0ghz 530J, or a AMD Venice 3200+. I'd like to have atleast 1GB of Ram, and atleast a 100GB SATA HD. Built in soundcard will do. Like i said, I have a paltry budget, of 500-700 US $.

Would dropping to a 3000+ and overclocking save me money? I've heard that the Venice Processors are good for OC'ing on stock fans. Anyways, is this doable on this sorta budget?

Sorry to say, but, erm. That budget's not going to get you what you want. You need at LEAST 1000 dollars. Save up.

$700 will buy you a mid-range PC with mid-range performance.

If you want a machine capable of running all the latest stuff at the best levels, yer gonna need about $1100-1200.

3000+ RevE - $150
nF4-D - $130
BH-5 RAM - $100
6600GT - $150
120GB SATA - $100

700 bucks is easy. All you need is the PSU, case and optical drives. Put a bit of cash in an XP-90 or XP-120 and you'll be looking at a machine performing on par with a 4000+.

Hrmm, Thanks Gaara. I dont need this thing to fly, I just need it to run alot smoother than my 1Ghz PIII. Would you mind expanding on what you mean with those specs Gaara? I dont understand some of your lines. Im sure they stand for some standard motherboard, processor, but I dont get them. Can you please type in the full name or a link. I think im buying from newegg, so if possible, or if its easier, just put a link to that.

AMD Athlon 3000+ "Venice"
DFI LANParty UT nF4 Ultra-D
TWinmos DDR400 RAM or Mushkin Redline DDR400 RAM or OCZ VX Gold Edition
nVidia LeakTek 6600GT
Western Digital 120GB SATA Hard Drive

What about the Case/PS? Im guessing any CD/DVD rom will go with this also? Mostly what case or PS unit? Will any PS unit that comes with the case do, or should i buy the PS unit seperately? Also, I saw its only ata 133, will a sata drive work on it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom