graphics cards

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bare minimum? x300 SE but thats if you have PCI-E. The 9600XT and 9800PRO are not bad cards, especially take price into account. They'll run most of the latest games at half decent settings(Exeption=doom3).

nitestick said:
what the bare minimum is that can be used with most games without problems. all i am looking for is reasonable quality graphics not high because i don't have much money.

You guys are answering the wrong question. He obviously doesn;t want a high end $1,000 video card because he said "the bare minimum to play most games".

I would say the absolute bare minimum to play decent video games these days is a 128mbit video card. As long as you stay with a namebrand chipset it doesnt really matter which route you go. Go on newegg.com and search for a 128mbit video card. There is no point in wasting your money on the new ATI or NVIDIA video cards unless you are a die hard gamer/graphics artist that just has to have it. Just wait a few months and those $800 plus cards will be $200-300.

Oh, make sure you get enough memory too :) No point in having a 128mbit video card if you have 128MB of RAM. You should have at least 512MB min

Telling him to get a 128 MB card is... not useful. He needs more help then that.

And it WOULD help if we knew the exact budget. Theres the bare minimum for playing games well (6600GT), and the BARE minimum for playing games at 15 FPS (FX or 9000 series cards).

*SIGH*

This is one of those threads I get so annoyed by. He says he doesn't have money and just wants to play today's games, and the first thing somebody does is suggest 2 7800GTXs in SLI! Thats just pitiful!

The bare minimum for today's games is an ATI Radeon 9600XT. Anything lower than that and newer games become sort of a struggle. Stay away from the GeForce FX or especially the GeForce MX cards. If you don't mind spending a little more for a decent card, get the 6600GT, which can run all of today's games on near-full blast settings on 1024x768. It would be the best card for your money if you can afford it. Under your circumstances, I wouldn't suggest going higher than the 6600GT, unless you just lied to us about money being an issue.

and the BARE minimum for playing games at 15 FPS (FX or 9000 series cards)
hey hey!! i have a 5600ultra and i play most everything at 30fps w/ AA cranked at 1024x768!! id say thats not BARE minimum.
The bare minimum for today's games is an ATI Radeon 9600XT
that card is an exelent card. my mom has one and i wish i could snag it!:p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom