SATA or ATA

Status
Not open for further replies.

PapoJR

Baseband Member
What should I go for? My motherboard supports ATA133 and SATA2, is there a big difference between these two? Whats the best choise considering the money too ;)

1. Do a forum search. This has been discussed on here before more than once.

2. SATA2 will cream a ATA133 hands down.

3. SATA prices are comparable to IDE drives, and they are easier to use and perform better.

ShoobieRat, what you say is true, but you give the wrong impression.

SATA 2 prices are higher than IDE prices, however, they do perform better in some applications. SATA 150 drives perform at a similar or lower rate than comparable ULtra ATA drives.

Also, woot6600GT, saying newer=better does not do much to explain why SATA2 is better than IDE. Newer is not necessarily better. Take the PIII 1.4 vs the p4 1.4. In that case newer is not better.

if you have the connectons on your board go for it but then again ide is awesome because if you ever upgrade your drives in the future you can still throw the ide's in any computer practally.

Hacp said:
SATA 2 prices are higher than IDE prices, however, they do perform better in some applications. SATA 150 drives perform at a similar or lower rate than comparable ULtra ATA drives.
120GB SATA-II - $100
120GB IDE133 - $75

Prices look comparable to me.

Besides, anyone wanting full details on SATA should look it up. There's things to know. Spend a little time. Anyone who does their research should know the answer to this question easily.

If you are comparing a SATA 7200rpm with an IDE 7200rpm there is no difference (noticibly speed wise) other than the method in which the information is sent/received. However, with narrower cables that the SATA drives use, there is less restricted air flow within your case which will help with heat issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom