What is the best Anti-Spam software?

Which of the following Spyware/Adware programs do you recomend?

• Ad-Aware SE Personal Edition

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Spyware Doctor

• Spybot - Search & Destroy

• SpywareBlaster

• Webroot Spy Sweeper

• Microsoft Windows AntiSpyware

• Other

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

SupremeRuler99

purveyor of fine cheeses
If you're like me then you HATE spam.:angry: I hate it when I open up Outlook 2003 (don't judge me) and there is some spam email in there. Granted, most of it gets deleted by my ISP and by Outlook itself, but there are still a few stragglers that get in.

How can I kill them? I want that spam to feel pain. Preferably, I would like a programme that works IN Outlook, so that I don't have to check my emails through another piece of software. I already use the spam filters provided in Outlook, but for some of the persistant fellas it won't work.

What do you recommend?

You could try using a free service like gmail or yahoo....I'm not sure about gmail but i know you can get your yahoo mail with outlook with a program called YPOPs on sourceforge.net.

Hope that helps

-Aaron

I too hate spam... It's always a problem, but it's less and less so over the years. Now, just to give you a thought... lets look at it from their side.
Take a legitiamte spammer (not sending spoofs) and go back 30/40 years. Then you have the Door to door sales man... Think of it, you have the right to refuse them entry to your home, but they can keep coming back and back until you do let them in and then they sell you that thing you always wanted... Well, spamming is the same things, only it's not a physical address anymore, and they are not limited to 1 door at a time.
I quess what I'm saying is this. Before you hate the person, think about what it is they are trying to do. Make a dollar, same as you (if you don't live with Mom and Dad and have a job).
The other thing you have to think about is this... How did your email get to this spammer? Did you sign up for something and not read the privacy agreement? probably so... That being said, it's easy to blame someone else for your mistakes. Just don't take it to the extreme. If you opened the door, without looking out the window, you are as guilty as the next guy. It's your responsibility to keep your information private. So if you don't, then it's your lose.

Just to expand, I set up 3 hotmail accounts for testing something. one account I signed up for a monthly newsletter on a tech site (not this one). Another, I publically published, and the last was not given out to anyone.

it took 24 hours for the first two to get messages. The 1st one got a few from site's I can only assume were related to the tech site. The other got everything. The Last account too 8 days to get the first spam. This was done by a bot program that creates accounts to try based on known information... Has nothing to do with anything, and is just broadcast mail. you can find this by looking at the header and who this was sent to. Most BOT spam contain a list of email addresses and you can see the pattern.

Be aware of your risk and control your explosure. It's the only real solution...

I have spam assassin installed on my web servers. It does a pretty good job of filtering out the spam and allowing what I want to see to get through.

Inaris said:
I too hate spam... It's always a problem, but it's less and less so over the years. Now, just to give you a thought... lets look at it from their side.
Take a legitiamte spammer (not sending spoofs) and go back 30/40 years. Then you have the Door to door sales man... Think of it, you have the right to refuse them entry to your home, but they can keep coming back and back until you do let them in and then they sell you that thing you always wanted... Well, spamming is the same things, only it's not a physical address anymore, and they are not limited to 1 door at a time.
I quess what I'm saying is this. Before you hate the person, think about what it is they are trying to do. Make a dollar, same as you (if you don't live with Mom and Dad and have a job).
The other thing you have to think about is this... How did your email get to this spammer? Did you sign up for something and not read the privacy agreement? probably so... That being said, it's easy to blame someone else for your mistakes. Just don't take it to the extreme. If you opened the door, without looking out the window, you are as guilty as the next guy. It's your responsibility to keep your information private. So if you don't, then it's your lose.

Just to expand, I set up 3 hotmail accounts for testing something. one account I signed up for a monthly newsletter on a tech site (not this one). Another, I publically published, and the last was not given out to anyone.

it took 24 hours for the first two to get messages. The 1st one got a few from site's I can only assume were related to the tech site. The other got everything. The Last account too 8 days to get the first spam. This was done by a bot program that creates accounts to try based on known information... Has nothing to do with anything, and is just broadcast mail. you can find this by looking at the header and who this was sent to. Most BOT spam contain a list of email addresses and you can see the pattern.

Be aware of your risk and control your explosure. It's the only real solution...

30-40 years ago the salesman had to know and love the products he sold, he had to make a personal effort to knock on the door and convince you that his belly button delinter was the best thing in the world and that you HAD to have it.

Now-a-days some little punk sits at his machine writes a poorly spelled, gramatically atricous piece of garbage and sends it to a list or e-mail address that some mined via spyware. He make 30 cents per address, and a buck for each time some one mistakenly clicks his links. I don't use my real e-mail address to sign up for anything and yet I get spam everyday (only a few but still) You can only do so much with all the spyware and data miners out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom