performance issue and aol

Status
Not open for further replies.

kevincompton

Solid State Member
I am trying to help a friend with his computer, he told me it was having short freezing issues. When i found it has AOL I had a feeling this would be the cause.

Now what its doing is when a couple of applications are open it will quite frequently for intervals of about 15 to 20 seconds freeze, that is the mouse will stop moving. Now the thing is that this computer is very well maintained and rather new. 512MB, pentium 4 proccessor, fully updated and defraged.

I have 3 theories and I want your advice if you have experience with either of these circumstances.

1. AOL is the cause. It seems to always have things running in the backround. How can I tell if its taking too much memory? How can i diagnose if AOL is indeed the problem. And if so can i fix this or will I need to unistall aol entirely?

2. He has an optical mouse. Perhaps the freezing is really just the mouse freezing due to some signal failure? However no matter how close we put the recieving unit the problem still occurs. Also the problem only seems to occur 10 minutes or so after booting up when several things are going on. I noticed images really make this happen, so this mouse alternative i feel is unlikely.

3. Although the computer does have a lot of memory, perhaps its still not enough? How can i tell based on what he does with it?
He only uses it for running aol functions such as chatting and e-mailing and he sends images also.

Ok so thats it. If you can help at all please give me your opinion or a good way to diagnose. Thanks!

thats on my list of things to check, but i think its more than that. These problems occur well after start up.

Does this problem only happen when the user is connected to AOL?

Sounds like there are some programs running in the background that might be eating some resources.

Do a CTRL + ALT + DELETE and view the resources each process is using. You can normally pinpoint which app is hogging resources from there and deal with it appropriately.

Try run a spyware sweep with Webroot Spysweeper (free full demo can be downloaded at http://www.webroot.com )

Also visit http://housecall.trendmicro.com for a free virus/trojan sweep.

he runs spyware regularly and aol has a spyware protection application also.

I'll try looking more closely on the task manager though. Anyone familiar with aol? I really think its some functions of theirs that are running this and i wonder if theres a way to customize it to make it run more quickly.

Yes so i did the startup options and disabled some other needless xp functions but do to aol the pauses continue. Now he wont get rid of AOL so im wondering if theres a way to mod it or trim it down. Anyone know?

I would do an unintstall of AOL get a reg cleaner so its completely gone, then if he insists on using it re-install it. Once you have done the complete removal try it for a few hours to see if it fixes the problem. AOL is resourse hog but you should notice it that much.

It could be hardware or driver related too, what are the rest of the specs?

kevincompton said:
Yes so i did the startup options and disabled some other needless xp functions but do to aol the pauses continue. Now he wont get rid of AOL so im wondering if theres a way to mod it or trim it down. Anyone know?

disable the autostart from th aol icon. if you do it from misconfig aol will put another one back.

aol spyware isn't worth it's weight in shite

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom