Taking out fans

Status
Not open for further replies.

Humbucker

In Runtime
I've been having some trouble with fan noise and somebody here directed me to some articles about oiling them. I read the articles and was all ready to do it, but when I opened up my PC I have no idea how to take the fans out and more importantly how to do it safely. I think the culprit of most of the noise is the power supply but I have no idea how it comes out and don't wanna be messing with it unless I know exactly what I'm doing. I want to oil all of the fans(there's 3 I think) so if you could have a look at the pics of the inside of my case I'm attaching and tell me how I should go about it, it would be much appreciated. :)

Attachments

• inside computer 1.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 44
There's a bunch of screws on the underside of the power supply, but I can't get to them. Also there are 4 on the outside of the back of the case - do I unscrew these ones?

yeah.

But... the PSU fans will have to stay, unless you don't mind the risk of blowing a capacitor, and voiding the warranty opening it up.

You will need to take the PSU out to open it. Unscrew the ones at the back to take it out.

Trifid said:
yeah.

But... the PSU fans will have to stay, unless you don't mind the risk of blowing a capacitor, and voiding the warranty opening it up.

You will need to take the PSU out to open it.

So are you saying I shouldn't touch the power supply AT ALL?

If you don't mind voiding the warranty, than go for it. The fans are the same as the other ones.

When you open it, just be very careful not to touch anything apart from the fans, as the capacitors can give a very nasty electric shock, or blow up spilling acid everywhere.

Trifid said:
If you don't mind voiding the warranty, than go for it. The fans are the same as the other ones.

When you open it, just be very careful not to touch anything apart from the fans, as the capacitors can give a very nasty electric shock, or blow up spilling acid everywhere.

Well, voiding the warranty isn't a problem as I don't have one. I cancelled it cos the place we bought this computer from is a joke and I wouldn't trust them to fix any problems. Even so, I 'm really cautious with these things as it is so I think I'll just leave it alone. If the noise is coming from the power supply though, I dunno what I'm gonna do cos I can't stand this noise any longer. So it's easy to take the others out? Just unscrew the screws?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom