Hard drive partitioned?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lasrix

In Runtime
Does partitioning a hard drive effect quality or anything? all the computers i have fixed up, that have partitions, seem to be slower than normal.. I just tell people to get a second hard drive, no?

like, this guy says:

"Know running windows on a large hard drive with no partitions is a bad thingÂ… Learn to use partitionsÂ… Read up and get a second hard driveÂ… Use a dedicated partition for your swapfile on the second HDÂ…"

whats he goin on about?

Well what I did with my system was I got a 120 gig drive and partitioned it. C: has 20 gig (which is the OS partiton) and D:\ has 100 gigs which has all my files and such. I find it runs much faster than when I had my other 120 gig has 1 full partition.

I guess the partitions are for the people who dont have another hard drive kickin around. I mean, if it runs smoother seperated (of course) then i believe having an OS hard drive and a storage hard drive would be awsome..heh

Cheers-

there won't be much performance increase (could be actually decrease) with just one hd with multiple partitions. the thing is that the drive heads have to jump back and forth between system files and the page file. a good thing is that the page file won't necessarily fragment that easily this way. with two hds it's another story, one drive can constantly read the swap file while other drive reads system files and other data.

if one is using several operating systems, then it's good to have them in separate partitions. also even with one os it's simple to keep the os in one partition, so in the need of format not all the hd has to be formatted. and there's of course the safty aspect: if one partiotion get corrupted, others might still be fine.

partitioning doesn't affect system performace at all. i have about 8 partitions on my hd's.

Yep....about the above referrence to the page file....shouldn't be accessed at all if you have sufficient memory. page file = virtual memory...has nothing to do with the # of partitions on a drive. Am I missing something here?

LoTeX said:
there won't be much performance increase (could be actually decrease) with just one hd with multiple partitions. the thing is that the drive heads have to jump back and forth between system files and the page file. a good thing is that the page file won't necessarily fragment that easily this way. with two hds it's another story, one drive can constantly read the swap file while other drive reads system files and other data.

The swap file is assuming your using SATA or both hard drives are on seperate IDE hosts :)

Cody said:
Well what I did with my system was I got a 120 gig drive and partitioned it. C: has 20 gig (which is the OS partiton) and D:\ has 100 gigs which has all my files and such. I find it runs much faster than when I had my other 120 gig has 1 full partition.

this is a correct assesment. you also get to keep your data

seperated partitions has an ability to keep file together than juct having them on the c drive. you will find less file moving when you deframent

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom