security breach?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dakta

In Runtime
Im wondering whther I have a possible security breach in my home servers.

I have a yahoo email account and recently everytime i check my email account i have to confirm it by entering my password and a verification code, however the verification code is accepted no matter what i type into it (even mumb13wumble works) and the source links back to various sites so im wondering if my yahoo account could be breached and maybe have a virus on my computers that is trying to intercept my mail password.

Of course it could be Yahoo just testing a new login method; but Im seriously concerned, I do not take security lightly.

Cheers

I'd check in your hosts file to see if the site you use to access your yahoo mail is re-directing you to a different site.

The hosts file is located at c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc

Open it up with notepad. As a default the only thing that should be in there is a bunch of lines commented out with a # sign and the loopback address (localhost 127.0.0.1)

Sypbot will add entries to this files, but comments them into an area designated as spybot's.

Look in that file for anything associated with yahoo. If there is, delete them, then try logging into your e-mail. When you're there, be sure to change your e-mail password.

yeah the hosts file seems clean so its either safe or a browser hijacker or trojan, Im very suspicious though because whenether i check the account with the pc downstair i never ever ever have to enter a verification yet the other 2 in my room do, they use the same router so share the same IP so it cant be yahopo selecting certain people for a test

Im scared :S lol i got a lot of work here, Nortons is crap so it looks like i have a problem

It'd check that and run a spyware scan (Spybot/Adaware/Spy Sweeper/Spy Stormer whatever flavor you prefer)

If it still has issues, run HijackThis and post the log in the Virus/Spyware section.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom