Which ram to choose?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeece

Beta member
Hi all... I'm gonna upgrade my computer soon (in fact, I'll build a new one), and I'm having a little "worry" about my future RAM.

I plan on buying an Athlon 2800+ (which is 333mhz), install it on an Asus A7N8X Deluxe (which support up to 400mhz). Now, what kind of DDR ram would be the best, even though I know both can fit:

PC2700 (333mhz) or PC3200 (400mhz)?

Which one of the CPU/MB limits the RAM speed? I mean, if I buy a 400mhz memory set, will it be limited by the 333mhz of the cpu, or will it operate at its full speed? Not that there's much difference, but it would be nice to know.:D

Thanks guys (and girls!)

your motherboard will state what kind of memory you can use. if you mix different speed types of memory all of the memory will run at the weakest link, the lowest speed type.

example your board supports pc2100/ 2700/ and 3200. you put in 2 sticks of pc3200, all your memory will run at 3200.

if you mix pc2100 and pc2700 they will both run at pc2100

very true all memory will run is at the weakest link so dont go spending all kinds of money on 1 fancy ram stick and not the other.
Your mobo manual will have details on ram complications
Ok well say your mobo supports up to pc3200 right but you go a head and buy sticks of pc3500 well than it will clock its self down to pc3200 and run at that speed. Now if you were to overclock you fsb on your cpu you wouldn't need to o/c your ram it would just work at what its rated for pc3500. Tip dont overclock your ram unless you can afford to buy new stuff

Of course, if I have to put 2 sticks of RAM, I'll try and use 2 of the same model and speed, to avoid any conflicts, and I wont go over my mobo ratings, since it won't make it any faster.

But if I install 1 stick of 400mhz, will it run at 400mhz, even if my CPU is "limited" at 333? If not, I'll buy 333mhz ram then.

And by the way, which would be better: 1 stick of 512, or 2 of 256? (I'm planning to buy a total of 512 Mb of Kingston)

well for whats better(And by the way, which would be better: 1 stick of 512, or 2 of 256? (I'm planning to buy a total of 512 Mb of Kingston) depends if your mobo supports ddr ram and you want to enable that extra 10-20 percent boost you need 2 ddr sticks of ram to use that. 1 stick of ram you will loose that boost but is slightly cheaper up to you.
(But if I install 1 stick of 400mhz, will it run at 400mhz, even if my CPU is "limited" at 333? If not, I'll buy 333mhz ram then.)
Well this all has to do with your mobo which decides what works. If your cpu is 333 fsb obviously your mobo has 333fsb allowed so guess. If your mobo only supports ram up to 333mhz than yes if you buy a stick of 400(pc3200) it will underclock its self to the 333mhz that your mobo will hold.

Sorry to get off topic here, but I noticed your purchasing plans. I have the AZN8X-deluxe, and I absolutely LOVE this mobo! Great choice! I'm running it with an athlon xp 2500+ at 2.08 GHZ, with fsb at 366 mhz right now. I was running at 400 mhz, but had some stability issues, and plan on getting a new heatsink (as opposed to my standard AMD) and clocking it back to 400 mhz.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom