Idle Temperature

Status
Not open for further replies.

MaDDaWg836

Solid State Member
Hello,

My PC is about a year and a half old and i have only added a 512 stick of RAM and my idle temperature has ben high recently. I mostly leave my computer on and before it was idling at 34 degrees C. But now it has been idling around 40-42. The temperature in the room is about the same and everything else has not changed.

PC Specs
2.8 GHZ Processor
1 GB RAM
256MB ATI RADEON PRO 9800

Is there anything i can do to make the temperature lower?

Thanks - MaDDaWg836

Adding another stick of ram shouldn't raise the temperatures that much. You might want to try reapplying your thermal compound as it gets less effective with age. I would suggest using Artic Silver as it is some of the best thermal compound out there. You only need a little and spread it around the processor's heatspreader until a layer about the thickness of a sheet of paper covers the whole heatspreader. Then reinstall your heatsink. The Artic Silver will take about a week to set/cure and after that your temperatures should be a lot lower.

How many case fans do you currently have in your case and how are they configured (in terms of intake and exhust)?

You may also want to consider getting a new heatsink. If possible you will want to get a copper heatsink as copper is a better conductor of heat than aluminum.

Tyler1989 said:
I'm not sure if this helps but my computer runs around 87 F idle and 93 F when non idle.

Each computer will run at different temperatures and is dependent on numerous different factors. A few of these factors include processor core, heatsink, case, case fans, etc.

well i have 2 seperate fans and one controlable fan on the power supply. they are all exhausts if i am not mistaken. i will try to shut my computer down for overnight and see the next days temps. I mostly leave my computer on so i guess this wont hurt. Is it also true that if the computer is left on a lot that it will last longer or is it the same thing as shutting it down?

Your computer will run as hot as your room is,As the heat increase's in your room expect the same for your comp,The problem is you can never get your computer cooler than what your room is if your just cooling it with fan's.

MaDDaWg836 said:
they are all exhausts if i am not mistaken.

That is your problem. The front and side fans should usually be intake and the rear and top fans should be exhust.

MaDDaWg836 said:
Is it also true that if the computer is left on a lot that it will last longer or is it the same thing as shutting it down?

That is the source of a lot of debate. Some people believe it is better to leave them running and others believe it is better to turn them off. I personally believe it is better to leave them running and if you think about it, it does make a lot of sense. Computer components are the most stressed during boot because all of the components need to spin up/initialize. When the components are first starting up they also require more power thus stressing the power supply. Plus the initial jolt of electricity can't be good for all your components.

MaDDaWg836 said:
. I mostly leave my computer on and before it was idling at 34 degrees C. But now it has been idling around 40-42.

Theres nothing wrong with those temps though. They are not high as all!

Im not sure about oiling the fans, but i do agree with the cleaning. Go out and get a Can of Compressed Air. I dropped my temps from 55C Idle to 36C Idle. Now thats a pretty big jump with just cleaning it out.

Cheers-

P.s. Dont tilt the can when using... = Bad news :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom