File Corrupts Performance??? HELP!

Status
Not open for further replies.

kizzeith

In Runtime
I have an MPEG file, around 700 mb, and it used to run fine. But now, I try to delete it or move it to another folder and it tells me that it is in use by another program. I made sure that no unsual processes are running, and also closed ALL programs. Furthermore, whenever I attempt to open, or even just singleclick the file, my CPU usage jumps to 100%, and everything is extremely slow. I mean, its not TOO big of a deal, as I am thinking about jsut hiding it and ignoring it, as it causes no harm until it is previewed or launched, however it is EXTREMELY annoying to me knowing that my 200 gigs are not completely accessable...lol

Please Help me!

I spent about half an our finding a .reg file that apparently fixes the prob as I had this problem myself before.

Its a common problem with XP systems. Basically it tries to read all its info as soon as you click on it and being 700MB it takes quite along time.

Things to try:
1 - Delet in Safe-Mode
2 - Delete the folder the file is in
3 - Delete using command prompt
4 - Browse/delete using a prog other than explorer. (Use your MPEG player to "Open" and browse for the file and press delete instead of actually opening it"
5 - Look for the reg patch I had before I formatted along time ago and forgot to back it up :$

I was able to delete the file through the command prompt, but only after ending the explorer process. Which brings me to my next question, is there a way to reboot in msdos prompt? Like in windows 98/95

Yes you can.
Just tap F8 (say 3 times a second) when you start your PC till a boot menu comes up.
Choose "Safe mode with command prompt"

Note: Tapping F8 will access Windows boot menu on any version of Windows

(PS: Still didnt find that reg file lol)

after closing explorer you can usually hit Crtl + alt + del and bring up the task manager click the first drop down menu I think its file and choose start process just type "Explorer.exe" and it should restart explorer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom