What computer would I need to run 10 css servers?

Status
Not open for further replies.
i doubt its really possible.

Probably something around Dual Xeons 3.6Ghz and about 8GB Ram?

u will definatley need a server computer and a server board. I doubt its possible to run it on a single CPU board.

And think about the connection the server will need, 10 CSS servers, so if every player sends 4(Kb/s)x124=96x10 = 960kb/s symetrical nilly just about hitting the 1 megabyte a second mark! and 4(Kb/s) is the mimimum for CSS.

I think you would want to look more into a beastly internet connection.

It's also going to depend on the servers' popularity. Do you think that all of them will be full simultaneously?

you'd need a bloody powerful computer to run 10 servers at once.
I'd suggest a couple of Opteron 8** series processors, maybe 846 or 848. the most powerful are the 852's which are really expensive. the 8** series Opterons are 8-way (each CPU emulates 8 CPU's, to get 8 instructions processed at once)
and a dual socket 940 motherboard, like from Tyan
with about 2 x 2GB sticks of RAM each CPU (must be ECC for socket 940) - 10 CS:S servers would take up a crapload of RAM

there is even a quad socket 940 board from Tyan, but it's expensive, and should only be used for dedicated servers (which I'm assuming you're doing)

all in all, I'd say, unless you've really got money to burn, it's not really worth it.

yea that sounds like a huge ripp off I though those dual cpu could run a crap load of servers. And how the heck do the ppl who host gaming servers make money?

Abercrombie said:
yea that sounds like a huge ripp off I though those dual cpu could run a crap load of servers. And how the heck do the ppl who host gaming servers make money?

I don't think they run 10 servers on one computer. Maybe less servers with multiple "lower" performance computers.

Abercrombie said:
some people rent their servers out.
but some of them are already rich

I would suggest, if anything, to get maybe a couple of servers (2 or 3), running maybe a max of 4-6 CS:S servers (2 per server max)

just thought of something: you can get dual Socket A motherboards, and Athlon XP's are pretty cheap now. maybe you can consider that

Abercrombie said:
ok then what comp would it take to run a cs 32 slot server normal cs?

With 32 slots full your looking at 2400+ / 2.4 GHZ with 256meg of DDR333 RAM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom