Big Problem with Harddrive

Status
Not open for further replies.

cande

Beta member
Hi to all!

A year ago I bought a Sony VAIO Desktop Computer. Now my Harddrive WDC-WD2500BB ist damaged and needs to be replaced. I found the same Harddrive is still for Sale but when I takled to Western-Digiatl adn Sony, they told me that since to Harddrive that was shipped with the Computer has a special signature from Sony, the Recovery CD will not work with a replacement Harddrive. I taled to sony to get a original Sony sihgnated Harddrive and all they told be so far is to send the Computer in for Repair. Since the Unit is out of warranty, there is a minimum charge of $314 just to open 4 screws and tell me that the Harddrive is defective - a fact that I already know. $314 ist just too much for me. So my question here is: What is a signature on a harddrive? And can I somehow duplicate this signature on a new Harddrive, so I can use my Recovery CD ?

Thank you for your answers in advance

Ok #1 you do not need your recovery CD, you can find any XP CD and stick it in and put XP on their, and use your legal CD key

Thank you for the Help, but this will just save Windows XP. The problem is where do i get a Windows XP cd? By thw Way i'm using Windows XP Media Center edition. I don't know where to find such a CD. And there is way mor Software that came with the Computer than just XP. Does anyone know how to get the Recovery-CD working, or how to copy the signnature ?

I don't think there are any way to get the sony signature, so forget about it.

just get the exact same hard drive, do a backup image, then recover on your new hard drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom