Car Adapter/Battery

Status
Not open for further replies.

krystian

Solid State Member
Hello,

I was wondering where to post my question, and I believe a community of technology savvy people may just be the right spot. ;)

This is sort of a hardware hacking question- here it goes:

Does anyone know how to power something that requires AA or AAA batteries with a car adapter? Do products exist that do that?

I know car adapters can provide about 12V of power, and AA/A batteries are much less. I purchased one of those wireless radio broadcasters... if you have a portable DVD player in your car sitting next to you (example), you hook up this unit to the DVD player's audio out and it broadcasts the audio (you just have to tune your car stereo to some radio station frequency to pick up the signal).

Well- this transmitter drains batteries bad. I could get rechargable batteris, but I just want a more permanent solution- this. The "wireless radio broadcaster" (as we'll call it) does not have the ability to be powered by a cigarrete adapter... only batteries.

Perhaps there's something that can buffer power from the cigarette lighter to my device. That'll be grand. And with this (http://www.radioshack.com/product.a..._name=CTLG&category_name=&product_id=270-1561) it'll be a power play!

Perhaps, does anyone know of any cigarrate lighter car adapter which on one end plugs into the cigarrete lighter, and on the other end has battery sized capsules which you insert into your gadget's battery compartment and takes the place of batteris and buffers through power from the cigarrete lighter to the gadget.

Just a question. I don't know how to be more concise without removing some of the explanation.

hkfnstang said:
there are radio broardcaster that use the ciggarette lighter slot for power.

I know. But I got mine for 5 bucks at Walgreens in the clearance bin (marked down from $30) and I'm curious how to go about doing this little mod.

they do exist, do you have a radio shack near you? They have most anything you need in the regard.

krystian said:
I know. But I got mine for 5 bucks at Walgreens in the clearance bin (marked down from $30) and I'm curious how to go about doing this little mod.

$5 is a sweet deal, but with the other stuffs you need to make it to work might cost even more than just buy one that fits :0-P

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom