windows freezes when I watch a dvd

Status
Not open for further replies.

jorge0608

Solid State Member
Ok, here is the problem, I have a HP 533w desktop which I recently upgraded the memory to 1 gig from 128 megs. Now when I watch a dvd movie the computer freezes and reboots during a few minutes of play. This happens at different times of play. I tested the memory with MEMTEST 86 and the memroy is fine. I uninstalled the Windvd software that came with HP and installed MSI PowerDVD. This helped a little bit as the movie played almost all of the way without freezing.

I formated the harddrive and reinstalled the OS after I upgraded the memory to 1 gig. I ran PC Doctor and testedthe DVD-rom drive and all tests passed. I am stuck now as I do not know what the problem is. Can anyone please help!

Thank you

So when you played a DVD with 128mb ram, it was fine? Did you take the mem back out and try 128 again? Did you try it on WMP?

Well, the person who owns the computer says that itplayed fine before the upgrade. I have tried WMP and it still crashed . If I play a music CD, in the same drive, it does not crash. If I do anything else other than watching a DVD movie it does not crash.

I am thinking it may be the on board video card that may be going bad. I guess I will try placing a PCI video card and try that. Also, I will swap out the DVD rom drive with a different one. Any other suggestions?

yes, I am goingto try taking out the 1gig of ram and placing the old memory in. Maybe it will be the memory????

Its worth a try. If it worked before and it dont know, it might have something to do with it. Lets see...

Ok, So it was a bad mem chip. I will am going to send it back for a replacement. I uninstalled this module and all works well! Hurray!

NO, I DECIDED TO TRY MY LUCK AND ELIMINATE ONE MEM STICK AT A TIME. I GUESS I JUST GOT LUCKY AND PULLED TO BAD ONE FIRST.

THANKS TO ALL FOR YOUR ASSISTANCE!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom