Is now really the best time to buy PC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Isn't the PS3 suppose to be a 8 core 128bit cpu running at 3.2ghz each, with a modified gf 7800 128mb and 256 or 512 xddr ram and 20gb hd?
Now with that said couldn't you just mod the Ps3 into a computer like a lot of people do with the xbox? I mean even if the console does cost $400 (I think more like $300 - $350) it would still be cheaper than just a 7800gtx and ram.

Cars used to be the worst investment you could get... yet completely necessary due to travel.

Computers I think are the new worst investments, simply because of the cost for something that no individual needs (Unless its job related).

In short, you build a PC because you love PCs, and you buy PCs because you like PCs alot, but dont love them.

Thats just what I think though...

dario03 said:
Isn't the PS3 suppose to be a 8 core 128bit cpu running at 3.2ghz each, with a modified gf 7800 128mb and 256 or 512 xddr ram and 20gb hd?
Now with that said couldn't you just mod the Ps3 into a computer like a lot of people do with the xbox? I mean even if the console does cost $400 (I think more like $300 - $350) it would still be cheaper than just a 7800gtx and ram.
[sarcasm]yup sure is all 8 cpu's when we only have technology for 2 :) [/sarcasm]

dario03 said:

Its a 64bit multicore power pc cpu and it ships with linux and no you will NEVER SEE windows on there unless its emulated.
(would lag like a ***** if it was)

dario03 said:

The PlayStation 3 has a core that is not compatible with AMD/Intel cores. Its instruction sets are different. So no. However, I'm sure Linux will have something to run on it.

And XBox could run linux... but so can an electric keyboard. Plus, XBox was built by MICROSOFT, a PC company. Its probably lot more PC complient due to this (Though rtunning linux on a Microsoft platform is amusing).

GrimReaper23 said:
[sarcasm]yup sure is all 8 cpu's when we only have technology for 2 :) [/sarcasm]

Ummm its the new cell processor so its not the same. I've seen reports saying 8 to 9 cores at 3.2ghz also reports saying 1 with 7spe but either way its processing power is insane.
I figure it would have to be emulated to run Windows but still somebody might come up with a way. I've also read that the gpu in the Ps3 is twice as powerful as a 6800 ultra. So somebody might want to save money and come up with a way to emulate it.

the Xbox 360 will have ATI graphics similar to the R520, but I think it only has 8MB video memory. maybe it's supposed to be so fast it doesn't need the memory

the PS3 is going to have Nvidia graphics, probabbly similar to the 7800. and yes, it is going to use cell processor(s) but I'm not sure on how many cores it will have.
it's also supposed to have 'blue ray' DVD technology. I'd say it's like a normal DVD drive except it uses a laser with blue light, which has a higher frequency than red or orange light, and can be focused better. this means they can store more on the disks.

the PS3 and Xbox 360 will initially have better hardware than PC's, but they always get overtaken within a year.
although one good thing about consoles, is that all of them have the same hardware. this means the game makers can optimise it better for that hardware without worrying about compatibility

dario03 said:
Ummm its the new cell processor so its not the same. I've seen reports saying 8 to 9 cores at 3.2ghz also reports saying 1 with 7spe but either way its processing power is insane.
I figure it would have to be emulated to run Windows but still somebody might come up with a way. I've also read that the gpu in the Ps3 is twice as powerful as a 6800 ultra. So somebody might want to save money and come up with a way to emulate it.

why would you want to run windows on it in the first place if it already comes with linux?

it's also supposed to have 'blue ray' DVD technology. I'd say it's like a normal DVD drive except it uses a laser with blue light, which has a higher frequency than red or orange light, and can be focused better. this means they can store more on the disks.

The frequency doesn't matter, blue light has a shorter wavelength, that's what makes the difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom