Upgrading PC

Status
Not open for further replies.
1. Depends on what you need to run on the 400mhz computer wether its slow or not, but compared to whats out now it is slow.

2. Find the dimension of both cases and mobos and see if the new mobo and components will fit in the case you have.

I'm back and we are ready to purchase pc's. I checked on microcenter.com (also went into store), I told the guy what we were doing and he suggested the 'PowerSpec 4983' specs:

Product Specifications Model Number
PowerSpec 4983

Operating System
Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition

Case Style
Mini tower

Processor
Intel® Celeron® Processor 2.4GHz

Level 1 Cache
32KB Level 1 Cache

Level 2 Cache
128KB Level 2 Cache

Data Bus Speed
400MHz Frontside Bus

Motherboard Chipset
SiS 651 Chipset

RAM Installed / Max RAM Supported
128MB PC-2100 DDR SDRAM, Upgradeable to 2.0GB

Memory Configuration
(1) 128MB DIMM Memory Module

Memory Slots Available
1 Available 184-pin DIMM Slot

Floppy Drive
Internal 3.5" 1.44MB Floppy Drive

Hard Drive
40GB UltraDMA ATA/100 Hard Drive

Multimedia Drive
52x32x52 CD-RW Drive

Monitor Type
Monitor Not Included

Video Card
Integrated 4x AGP SiS 651 Video Chipset

Video Memory Installed
8MB of Shared Memory

Sound Card
Integrated AC97 SoundBlaster Compatible Audio Chipset

Sound Output Mode
16-Bit 3D Sound

Speakers
Two Amplified Stereo Speakers

Modem / Communications Device
PCI 56K V.92 Fax/Modem Card

Data / Fax Transfer Rate
56Kbps Data / 14.4Kbps Fax

Network Features
Integrated 10/100 Fast Ethernet Network Adapter

Ports and Connectors
1-Serial 9-pin Port; 1-Parallel 25-pin Port; 1-PS/2 Keyboard Port; 1-PS/2 Mouse Port; 1-VGA 15-pin Port; 6-USB 2.0 type "A" Ports; 1-Modem RJ-11 Port; 1-Network RJ-45 Port; 1-Microphone Port; 1-Audio Out Port; 1-Audio Line In Port

Expansion Bays
2 (1 free) External 5.25" Bays; 1 (0 free) External 3.5" Bay; 2 (1 free) Internal 3.5" Bays

Expansion Slots
1 (1 free) 4x AGP 2.0 compliant slot; 1 (1 free) CNR slot; 3 (2 free) 32-bit Bus Mastering PCI slots

Input Device
Windows Keyboard, 2 Button Internet Scroll Mouse

Power Supply
250 Watt Power Supply

Included Software
Drivers & Utilities, Norton Anti-Virus 2003 SE

Manufacturer Warranty
1 Year Limited Warranty

The cost is $399. Monitor not included, the sales guy suggested not to buy a dell or other 'name brand' b/c we couldn't upgrade the parts buy by buying this particular model, we can swap out parts. He explained that the Celeron is not as fast as P4 but for what we needed it for it would be fine. What do you all think of the price on this for what I am getting? Also, I checked tigerdirect and they have similar systems like eMachines (which I heard weren't too good?, Systemax, Wintergreen etc. Should I opt for one of these brands instead? Also, where would I get support for one of these systems (bought online) if it were to break down?

2 computers total will have to be purchased for the office but again, trying to get the most bang for our buck, but have reliable tech support from manafacturer if needed.

Sorry so long, but we need to get pc's by end of the year so I need help!!!

Thank ya

Yes, the celeron will not be as fast as it will have to travel to the memory for stored data because there is no memory in the cpu cache. Though for what you need, an office pc, this will be a very nice upgrade. :)

overall that setup doesnt look too bad for what ur needing it for in my opinion except for a few things. first u stated that the app. ur gonna b running needs a minimum of 512mb of ram to run properly. this setup ur considering only has 128mb so thats a definite issue. im definitly not a fan of integrated video with shared memory, boooo but i have no idea what app. ur running so i dont kno if its at all graphic intensive but for something needing a minimum of 512 to run i would say it is. so i would b getting something without onboard video and getting a separate video card. like tommy posted u get an nivdia card pretty cheap. the one i have isnt very good but i still play very cpu intensive games with no problem and i believe mine is about 70 bux. to u other guys reading this , one other thing that is confusing me is that it states that the board is upgradeable to 2 gigs of ram but only having one DIMM, i dont think ive ever seen a 2 gig memory stick so how is that possible? so ur looking at the 400 bux for each of the machines, then about 60 x2 for the 512 of memory for each of them,if ur gonna keep the onboard video.i think u could disable the onboard video and get separate video cards but y pay for something ur never gonna use. also ur gonna have to take them apart to install the memory and video cards if thats a factor for u, its not hard at all.
im not a big hardware guy yet so other ppl correct me if im wrong plz

Can you suggest a specific brand of PC?

thank you neversleeps. The app is not video intensive, it is basically a gui for inputting patient info. The 512mb is a system requirement for the app but I am sure it will run at a lower speed, I will have to call them to verify. I don't know anything about these brands that I see on tigerdirect or even at the store, I just want a reliable pc that can be upgraded at a later time if needed and will run well for at least 3-5 years. (It doesn't have to have the best of the best components b/c it is not to be used for gaming..just word processing and light office work etc. Can someone recommend a specific brand of computer with price from any website or any store that meets the requirements or can be upgraded inexpensively (memory). I need to order 2 pc's, 2 lcd's and networking equipment for $2,000 max. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom