refresh rates

Status
Not open for further replies.

joshd

Fully Optimized
is the refersh rate the same as frames per second?

if so, what happens if the fps of a game exeeds the refresh rate of ur monitor?

well horizontal tearing could occur. but a high refresh rate is good but with my monitor up on like 85hz when i cut it off static is insane on it lol u can feel it with ur hand from like 10 inches away. but its always good when bugs are flyin on my screen cuz then i can just turn off my monitor and they all get zapped and they die lol

joshd said:
if so, what happens if the fps of a game exeeds the refresh rate of ur monitor?

Then your computer is wasting power by generating frames that the monitor simply cannot display.

I believe, and please feel free to correct me, that the refresh rate is the amount of times the monitor is refreshed in a second. This is essentially what a FPS measure is. So if you set your monitor to 75hz, it will refresh its image 75 times in a second.

Now vertical sync is an option that works with your monitor refresh rate. Most people shut off vertical sync because they get ridiculous framerates. Some people can get like 140 in UT2004 and such with vertical sync off.

But please don't be stupid like this. Vertical sync should indeed be on. It caps your FPS to your monitor refresh rate. So if you run a refresh rate of 60hz, then you will not get a higher FPS than 60.

Now why is this good you ask? Well it is pointless for your hardware to process more than 60 frames if your eye can't even detect it and your monitor can't even handle it. In a way you are giving your hardware a break by putting on vertical sync.

Higher is better. Use the highest refresh rate your monitor supports. I use 1280x1024 @ 100Hz. But then again, I also have a really good monitor :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom