No Next-Gen in AGP?

Status
Not open for further replies.

beedubaya

Golden Master
I have heard that there will not be any next-gen cards released on the AGP platform. This makes me so mad, because I will have to build a completely new system just because I need a new graphics card. Is it possible that this could just be rumors, and that they could release next-gen cards on AGP? If not, should I get a 6800 GT when the price goes down and hope that holds me another year or two? I don't really want to build completely new right now when all that really sucks in my system is my graphics card.

they're probably doing the same crap as with the 6600GT, they'll release the AGP versions a long time after...

btw, there are too many mobos that only have AGP, so it wouldn't be smart to do that

Just as there are majority of pc owners with 32-bit processors. Doesn't mean they will just drop support, but do be prepared you probably won't be on the cutting edge again

So far, nVIDIA claims they will only make a new GPU in AGP 8x form IF there is public demand for it.

powerslave12 said:
You could always use on board video :DD

That has nothing to do with anything...

AGP is dead, and the sooner the video card companies stop supporting it, the sooner we can move forward.

However, this is how I see it going down: NVidia dosnt make an AGP card. ATI actually takes the inititive and makes an AGP card for the new series, racking in the cash. NVidia makes an AGP card to battle ATI with.

Curse you ATI!

There are still people out there with only PCI. Hell, computers are still being sold with only PCI :confused:

The way I look at it is that if you have a system with nice AGP vid card (X850/6800), you wont notice that huge of a difference if you go to the next-gen series (as we've seen in the 7800 benchmarks), anyways. Therefore, unless you are building a whole new system anyways then getting a 7800/X900 is kinda silly.

Well there is a bridge coming out that makes PCIE able to connect with AGP 8x, sparing a $400 purchase of a new graphics card. It doesnt look to promising as it is pretty weak looking.

AGP is not dead, they still are on-par PCIE because PCIE hasnt used 16x speeds yet. Currently it's only 8x + 8x. There will have to be a significant motherboard restructure before that can happen. The only benefit PCIE users have currently is SLi, which is some cases is out-performed by the single cards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom