PSU Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

grego

In Runtime
I just happened to notice that the PSU I planned on buying for my rig (Cooler Master RS-450-ALCY) doesn't have PCI-E support. I'm getting a PCI-E system (DFI board with 6800GT). Do I need "PCI-E support?" Or is that only required for cards that suck down extra juice and need a direct power link?

My other choice is the Antec NeoPower 480, which does have PCI-E suport. However, it costs $35 more until the rebate check comes.

...n00b question... oh well :p.

Good thing you made this because I had no idea PCI-E cards needed PSUs that support it

apokalipse said:
you can get a 20 to 24 pin adapter for it

Oh riiiiight. Now it all makes sense. In my mind I wasn't connecting those extra four pins to PCI-E. I've heard the DFI board I'm getting is tempermental with the adapter so I'll just get the Antec. The Antec has a more acurate 12v anyway, plus 30 more watts... even though it is less energy efficient.

Thanks for the replies.

First things first...that PSU SUCKS!!!! Only get brand names such as antec, thermaltake, ennermax, PCP&C and OCZ. Everything else sucks.

You could get a 20/24 pin adapter, or u could just get an antec neo power or an OCZ Mod/Power stream. You will also be better off with the DFI Lanparty nForce 4 Ultra-D mobo

If you are buying entirely new and are getting a PCI-E board, get a 24 pin ATX2.0 compliant power supply. A 20 to 24 pin power adapter still poses a problem as the the 12+v pin still gets toasty and can burn in many cases.

You can use a 20 pin PSU with an ATX2.0 motherboard, but I would advise against it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom