No operating system found

Status
Not open for further replies.

Abbygirl

Solid State Member
I turned on my computer and got a message "no operating system found." Does this mean I got a virus? My Dell computer is only two years old. I went back to Dell and all they said was "nice". I wanted to know how to check the BIOS settings. Do I have to reload the OP disc that came with puter? Would appreciate any help.

haha, that is one of the oldest questions, no one ever asks that anymore. but yea, make sure there is none, I never use bootable floppies much anymore, unless im ghosting a machine.

Re:

Hello,

Make sure that your computer is set to boot from the Hard Drive in your BIOS settings.

Also make sure that your Hard Drive is properly connected to the IDE cable and molex power cable.

If all fails, you may have a corrupt Master Boot Record.

It sounds like your boot record like Alvin said.I would just do a reinstall if you dont have anything much to lose.Chances are its time for a reinstall anyway.

Re:

Hello,

Why not go into the Recovery Console and rewrite the MBR?

Simply boot into your Windows XP Setup CD, go into the recovery console, and type fixmbr x: at command prompt (where x: is the specific drive).

'OS not found' message may also occur when the key files needed to boot the OS are heavily fragmented and lie beyond the area accessible by BIOS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom