Want to upgrade, but to what???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jonc731

Baseband Member
My current PC configuration is listed in my signature. My computer is mostly used for gaming. I want to upgrade to a 64bit CPU, but am unsure of whether to side with Intel or AMD. This question is asked a lot, but none of these posts answer my question. I would rather not spend much more than $400 on the CPU and Motherboard, any help would be appriciated.

get a 3200 venice core 64 bit Socket (939) and a DFI motherboard. I know what you mean but everyone here likes this Mobo and this new cpu. But it is also a very good gaming combo. You can keep the ram i guess, And Hdd but that vga card is going to have to alot better. As myself have the same as you i would like to upgrade to 6600gt or 6800gt but i have no money so ;) what can i do. :)

Try this:

MSI K8N Neo4-F Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail $87.00

AMD Athlon 64 3000+ Venice Integrated into Chip FSB 512KB L2 Cache Socket 939 Processor - Retail $146.00

eVGA 128-P2-N368-TX Geforce 6600GT 128MB 128-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card - Retail $169.00

Total: $402

I know that you didnt ask for a vid card upgrade, but this combo will give you a great overall performance increase.

To get a new CPU and motherboard and keep the video card means that you have to stay with a mobo that only supports AGP which will limit your future video card upgrades.

just for some extra support and help.. i say u go with what Elbatrop1 said.. looks to be a pretty good upgrade and at ur range too! so if i were u, id go with that

Sorry, I wanted to upgrade my video card. I was too busy talking about cpu and motherboard. You guys gave me a good idea of what to get, I'll probably stick with what elbatrop1 said. Sounds pretty good.

Thanks a lot,

Jon

I made it sound like I was a hardcore gamer.

I meant that the most intense thing I do on my pc is gaming. I also use the internet (via firefox), use aim, and a few other things that aren't really tough on the pc. I have decided to go with AMD probably the 3200+ Venice core, maybe 3500+. I like the MSI K8N NEO4 Motherboard, but I don't really want to spend $170 on my video card, when I am not an extreme gamer. Any suggestions are welcome.

Oh yes, I may experiment with overclocking, but haven't made that decision yet. If I do it will not be a lot. Would this make the DFI mobo a better choice for me?

Look into the MSI's K8N Neo4 Platinum $129.50. It's quite more expensive but a very reliable board with outstanding reviews.

Well, if you're doing overclocking but not that much, the MSI may be your better choice. It doesn't overclock an oustanding degree, but it is very easy to do.

My cousin own a DFI motherboard. It has an incredible amount of overclocking options, but can get very confusing if you're an OC'ing newbie like me. Unless you plan to throw in some water cooling and do some serious overclocking, you may just end up confusing yourself.

I would stick with the MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum I posted above. I couldn't be more satisfied with it (though I couldn't seem to find where to change my multiplier).

As far as your GPU, if you aren't a serious gamer and you don't need a gigantic GPU, then maybe you can save money and tone down the other parts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom