Flashed wrong bios, it's game over isn't it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MADWAD

In Runtime
Yup, i did it. I am a moron comes to mind but hey whatta do? So any suggestions? just get a black screen nothing else............

yup, congratulations on your purchase of a new paper weight.

However.....you DO NOT need a new motherboard....only n00bs buy a new motherboard in this situation :p ;)

Hotflashing your BIOS is the only way to go....I did that on my NF7-S v2 board when I accidentally flashed it with the NF7-S v1.2 boards BIOS.....what is hot flashing you ask!? Why....read here!

http://www.techist.com/computer_articles/bios-flashing-recovery.php

An ingenius sucka named Nubius wrote it :)

It covers the basics of hotflashing.... also you might want to look into this:

In short hotflashing is putting in a working BIOS chip....turning on the computer, getting to the DOS screen with the flash program on a floppy...but before you flash you pull out the chip while the computers on (hence the term HOT flashing) and put in the dead chip....yes you guessed it right, this requires buying a new BIOS chip, but it's a helluva lot cheaper than buying a new motherboard

"Why do I want to hotflash then if I just bought a new working BIOS chip?"

because then you'll have a spare ;)

so where do i order the new chip from :( THat frozen computer doen't support my mobo.

Hotflashing?

Wow...sounds dangerous. You risk shocking yourself and/or short circuiting the motherboard by touching it while it's not only powered, but RUNNING...

:eek:

it while it's not only powered, but RUNNING...
Umm well generally 'powered' implies it's running :p unless you have some OTHER hardware problem to worry about.

so where do i order the new chip from THat frozen computer doen't support my mobo.
Try contacting the manufacturer....generally they can either sell you one or atleast know of where to purchase one as I've had to give this info to someone before.

BTW: Of course if you're an absolute klutz then yeah perhaps you shouldn't try hotflashing, but I did it about 8 times because I was trying to put my NF7-S2 bios chip in my NF7-S and it's POST and all that, but award BIOS flash utility would prevent me from flashing with the NF7-S BIOS because they were too far different....I had originally flashed with a windows utility when I picked the wrong one so it didn't give me that message.

Some people will take a screw with the bolt all the way at the end of it and super glue it to the top of the BIOS chip so you have something to grab onto for easy removal assuming you don't have the proper tools to do it.....I used a paper clip and pried it out by putting the clip in the corner but I don't really recommend that method :p

Hotflashing sounds scarier than it is, but yeaaaah if you aren't a moron and resting your arm on your graphics card you'll be aright :D

get proper removal tool and it becomes even easier...I'm sure www.xoxide.com has such tools

Ok, i Need to use my computer as of yesterday because i'm in the middle of exams (distance courses)(yes, the day i fired my bios) so too bad for me but i gotta get a new mobo right away. My current mobo (the one i fired) is a socket 478 and a intel chipset 845pe. So when i buy my new mobo tommorow i obviously have to buy a mobo thats a socket 478 compatiable, but concerning the intel chipset 845pe- does that have to be the same as well? basically does the chipset and socket have to match my old board exactly? An explanation on this you be fantastic for a guy who just totalled his mobo. :(:(:(

You jsut need a mobo that is compatible with your processor. Will fit in your case. Compatible with the rest of your hardware specs. And correct psu, connectors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom