Q: How are Chipset and Graphics related?

Status
Not open for further replies.

strategist333

In Runtime
This will probably be a stupid question, but everywhere I shop for laptops, the introduction says "chipset and graphics: ...". I know they are different, so why are they mentioned together? For example, the ATI RADEON XPRESS 200M is a chipset (right?) but later it says it's capable of supporting ATI RADEON x300. Could someone please explain how chipset and graphics work?

Thanks a lot

I think because the graphics are integrated is why it says that together. Because then the chipset handles it. However I am not sure on this so plz feel free to correct me if Im wrong

Re:

Hello,

...no correction needed, I think that's how it goes. With integrated graphics, the chipset plays some role.

ATI make graphics processing units and chipsets. In this instance, the ATI RADEON XPRESS 200M is the chipset, which is capable of supporting an ATI RADEON x300 integrated graphics processing unit. But this doesn't mean that other chipsets by other manufacturers won't support an ATI RADEON x300 GPU.

All laptops have the graphics processing unit integrated onto motherboard. In this instance, ATI have associated their chipset with one of their own graphics processing units, but it's nothing exclusive...

the only other thing that matters in chipset is like....personally I'd rather have an Nforce chipset over Via.....via was supposed to offer up some competition to nvidias nforce, but IMO they really haven't....this isn't to say VIA is a HORRIBLE chipset by any means...in fact the Nforce3 chipset kind of sucks based on my own experience, but the NF4 chipset seems to be quite the champ....

In terms of laptop it matters mainly because the better the chipset the better integrated graphics it can handle....the chipset will be limited by a certain amount of throughput so they are saying that "hey this chipset is so dern good it can handle (card name)!!"

kind of deal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom