Max ram

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rikku

Solid State Member
Hi everyone, I am looking at upgrading my comp as it is about 4yrs old and hasn't been touched so therefore is pretty shoddy. at the moment the memory is 64mb sdram (max 384mb) but if I replace the processor with a faster one would i be able to add more than 384mb?

hope this makes sence!! :D

If you are replacing a four year old processor, then you will be replacing your motherboard also. Your new motheboard will determine the max ram. It will definately be more than 384mb.

Your maximum memory is based completely upon your motherboard.

Also, you cannot just upgrade your motherboard or processor. It depends on what kind of computer you have. If it is a Dell, good luck. They advise highly against it, but also, they use proprietary stuff, so it makes it almost impossible anyways.

if you could post your specs it would be a lot easier to tell if you could upgrade.
And as for the ram you cpu has nothing to do with it. Its all the mobo but if you replace the mobo it might have a different pin configuartion so you would need a new cpu with that new amount of pins or backwards. If you buy a new cpu with different pins then your mobo you will need a new mobo. Tell me what you got and ill look for some older parts so you wont have to upgrade both

wow thanks for all the replys!!

ok im at work at the mo but off the top of my head my specs are :-

intel celeron 500mhz processor
64 sdram - max 384mb
10gb hard drive

it is gonna cost me roughly £200 to upgrade, maybe a bit more, but i have found this for £400 -

Intel Celeron 2.5GHz Processor
256Mb DDR RAM
80Gb Hard Drive
DVD ROM & CDRW Separate Drives
64Mb Shared Graphics
4 USB Ports
56K Modem
Works v 7.0 Plus many more
Microsoft Windows XP Home

do you think it is a better idea to get this one than upgrading
my old one? as i could upgrade the new one and have a super comp! :D

Being that yours is 4 years old. I would say that it would be better to buy the new one. (It is new, correct?)

yes go with the new one but tinker with it a little bit in bios and see what you can change for the hell of it. Trust me its fun he-he

thats what i was thinking, it might have to wait till after xmas though.

thanks for the advice guys x

many peolpe expect they can simply upgrade some parts on their computer to make it faster, but in the end they will realize you have to buy a new computer. computer upgrades are very limited.

Rikku it is safer if you do not try to slavage things from your old computer to put in your new one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom