registry problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
if you ran check disk, in the Application log, you will have a bunch of stuff. Look for Event Sources called WinLogin These will contain the information about the Winlogin process as well as any checkdisk operation. Look at the time stamp, and you should find the one that is closest to when you rebooted to run Checkdisk. Copy the inforamtion to here.

Good luck

One of the Winlogon said " A critical system process, C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe, failed with status code 128. The machine must now be restarted".

I also have noticed that my computer doesn't really freeze but it just stops in operating programs. Like when I first open the computer, everything works, and then maybe 20 mins later, programs stop working. I can still move around but can't open programs. And it happens everytime, is this registry problem causing it?

Can anyone please help? What should I do reinstall XP or use those registry fixing programs?

dumdum8684 said:
you have the lsass virus i'm pretty sure. The virus disables the lsass.exe process. You could try and reinstall windows but before you plug it into the network turn on windows firewall and then get the latest updates including SP2 if you don't have it already.

Someone chime in if i'm wrong

this sound like the problem. you need the XP cd. use powermax to wipe your hard drive clean, first. this way, you know it is truly clean

I think something is wrong here because, I booted up the powermax program, and when I did the advanced test, it was taking almost 2 hrs. So I just took out the cd and rebooted. Can you tell me what went wrong here? Is it suppose to take that long?

I doubt that you have the lsass.exe virus. How do you know its a registry error? Can you post a screen shot of it? But if you do have the virus do this:

Before you begin:
If you are running Windows 2000 or XP, and have not yet done so, you must patch for the vulnerability described in Microsoft Security Bulletin MS04-011. If you do not, it is likely that your computer will continue to be re-infected.

What to do if the computer shuts down before you can patch or get the tool
This threat can cause Windows to keep shutting down and restarting. This can prevent you from installing the Microsoft patch or downloading the tool described below. To prevent the shut down, do the following. (You may have to try this several times, as you only have about 20 seconds to do steps 3 to 6.) (This will not work on Windows 2000.)

Disconnect the computer from the network/Internet connection. (Disconnect the cable if necessary.)
Restart the computer.
As soon as Windows opens and you see the Windows desktop, click Start > Run.
Type:

cmd

and press Enter.

Type:

shutdown -i

and press Enter.

In the Remote Shutdown Dialog that opens, do the following:

Click Add and type your computer name into the appeared window. Then click OK.
In the "Display warning for <number of seconds> Seconds" field, type 9999 in place of the default value of 20.
Type any message in the Comment box.
Click OK.

Reconnect the network/Internet connection.
Connect to the Internet, and get the patch. Then continue with the steps described below.

This gives you about three hours to get the patch installed, update the definitions, and so on.

When you have patched for and removed the threat, you can re-enable the 20-second default warning if you want to.

Sasser Removal Tool

b1gapl said:
I think something is wrong here because, I booted up the powermax program, and when I did the advanced test, it was taking almost 2 hrs. So I just took out the cd and rebooted. Can you tell me what went wrong here? Is it suppose to take that long?

I use that advance test function (this tests the hard drive. the quick test hard drive option works just fine) once and it took forever before I stopped it. I would just use the quick erase option.

I think I know its a registry error, because after I reformatted, an error message popped up saying that something was corrupted and it referred me to this website ms-repair.com. And this showed the registry repair pro program.

WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA Hold on there Errrrrr, backup....way the hell up. You are fine, atyleast with the registry part. Thats spam using Windows messenger. XP DOES NOT have that abilitly to refer you to a website of that nature. Just there Update site and Windows Catalog and maybe a few others I'm not aware of. But you do now have a registry problem. So dont reformat!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom