Graphics card causing crashes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Humbucker

In Runtime
I've had a problem for a while now with Cubase SL3, which is a music recording program for anyone who doesn't know. At the same exact point(around 101 bars into recording/playing back something) it would crash and restart my computer. Over the last few weeks I have been tearing my hair out with it, asking on the Cubase forums and trying various things to see what was causing it. I even at one point thought I had a faulty copy of Cubase.

Today I have had a breakthrough and discovered the culprit is my ATI Radeon 9800 series graphics card. Somebody suggested to me that I should try turning off the hardware acceleration for it. I tried this and to my suprise the problem isn't there anymore. The only problem is, I don't know what repercussions keeping it set to none would have for the rest of my computer usage. My wife does digital photography so good display and graphics is an important aspect of our PC experience.

I'm not sure exactly how the graphics card was causing this problem. I dunno if it was some kind of conflict or perhaps an overheating issue. The crash happened at EXACTLY the same time every time and it could be within 30 seconds of switching the computer on and just pressing play in Cubase till it gets to that point. That leads me to believe it's nothing to with overheating or anything. As far as I know I have up to date drivers for my Radeon but I'm willing to roll back if I have to.

Can anyone give me any suggestions on WHY I have had this problem and why turning the hardware acceleration off solves it? I'm kinda at a loss of what to do next. On the one hand I'm glad I have found a way to solve the problem, but on the other I'm worried what repercussions turning off acceleration will have. Also I'm frustrated at not knowing specifically what about the graphics card causes this problem. Here's my system specs if that helps:-

AMD Athlon 64 3400
1GB RAM
200GB HD
ATI Radeon 9800 series 256MB
M-Audio Audiophile 192

All help much appreciated. :)

Well if the only thing your wife was doing is digital photography, their are no reprecussions besides a major peformance loss, but you will never notice it unless you are a gamer.

What I think, is that your card was probolly produced with an error

DJ-CHRIS said:
Well if the only thing your wife was doing is digital photography, their are no reprecussions besides a major peformance loss, but you will never notice it unless you are a gamer.

What I think, is that your card was probolly produced with an error

I do play a couple of games, notably FIFA 2005 which is very graphics-orientated. Yeah, you may be right about the card being produced with an error.

I'm thinking of downloading the latest Catalyst drivers for my Radeon but it seems most people who download them are not happy with them and a couple have even said they have caused MORE problems. Does anybody here have any experiences with them?

After reading some less than favourable things about the Catalyst drivers, I went ahead and instead downloaded the latest Omega drivers for my Radeon. But STILL I have the same problem unless I set the hardware acceleration to zero. Does anyone have any thoughts/ideas?

if it is rma it, if not go get a cheap ATI card not nvidia, because it'd be a pain to clean the drivers

get a x300 or something

Humbucker said:

Return to Manafactuer Authorization

I think that's what it means

Assuming you dont have a huge problem with it running in software, I would keep it that way, because its messed up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom