HELP!!! New HS and AS5... is this supposed to happen?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

dbernie41

In Runtime
On my stock heatsink my CPU was idleing and like 49C and I decided I wanted to cool it down. So i bought a Cooler Master Dream 3 heatsink and AS5. I installed both things and I just booted up and my temps are idleing at like 61C!!!

I know they are supposed to be a little hot at first... but this much?!

Is this normal and when will it start to go down? Is it safe for me to have this running at these temps?

I have a Celeron D 330

thanks!

You might want to make sure the heatsink is working. If it has a fan than make sure it's spinning. Get a reliable temperature monitor or check in the bios. Make sure the AS5 was applied correctly and in the correct spot.

To monitor temps I am using Speedfan.

The fan is spinning.

And I applied the AS5 directly onto the processor. I used a credit card to cover the entire top of the CPU in a thin layer. It could possibly have been too thin but I doubt it.

Also, I dont even know how to get into BIOS:(

The only program running right now is Speedfan and its now at 64C and I am going to be gone for over an hour so I think I am going to shut it off for now.

*sigh* disappointed:(

I think that you put too much AS5 on. When you put it on, you should put a dab that is about the size of a grain of rice and spread it out so that it is the size of a dime.

dbernie41 said:
I used a credit card to cover the entire top of the CPU in a thin layer.

Yeah you only need a small blob.

Also, did you clean the top of the CPU before you applied the AS5? You need something like 99% Isoproply Alcohol to clean it properly.

it was about the size of 1.5 grains of rice and i just spread that around.

I cleaned the HS and CPU with rubbing alcohol using Q-tips and cotton balls before applying the AS5

The amount would be fine, slightly too much, but not too too much.

How strong was the alcohol, as it has to be above 90% to get the CPU and heatsink properly clean.

Just a side note, what heatsink was it?

The ammount of AS5 hardly matters at all..hell i dont even use it much now..there is a layer on the headsink, crusty and dried up, but it still works fine 33load on my 3200+, so yea

Make your you mount the Heatsink properly, and screw it down enough so there is a decent downforce.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom