Teacher's computer virus? URGENT plz help

Status
Not open for further replies.

IBMan

Daemon Poster
Hi, i was at my teachers house fixing his computer last night, had a virus that Norton and AVG could not find, the computer will turn on and anywhere in the boot up process(either before starting windows or during it, or after it loads all start up programs in windows) it will jsut reset, I'm guessing this is a virus anyway, havent had this problem until last week, he thought we should wipe the whole thing out, which we did, so i formatted the HDD installed Window xp home, put on ZoneAlarm, AVG and Firefox and he just emailed me last night saying it was still there, I was wondering is this a virus that exists somewhere on the HDD that doesn't get formatted by the XP disc such as MBR?(I have no clue if XP disc formats the MBR also) I was thinking about running one of those low level format programs such as Active Killdisk to get rid of it this time, or do you think it may be a hardware conflict? however he has not installed any new hardware or software, I know his kids must go to game sites such as Nick.com or w/e it is. Any help greatly appreciated.

yes, he sent me an email this morning saying that it still does restart randomly during startup

you don't think it could just be some dust or something in the case causing a short or something do u?

it you have a boot sector virus use powermax (cd iso) in my sig to wipe it clean. with version 4, you can use the quick format option. it will completly erase the first and last 300mb to clean the MBR and it will quick erase the rest rest.

with powerMAX 3 YOU USE TO HAVE to use the full format to erase the mbr, which took a loooooooong time

You might want to take all items off the motherboard except the ones that are essential for boot. Like 1 stick of memory, processor, videocard if you dont have onboard, etc. Run the least amount of hardware, bootup, see if it reboots on its own, if not, then add another item until this problem happens again.

wow...that could take some time.
but OK, I'll let him know what your input was and I'm going to try it. Thanks for all help. After I get a chance to work on it I will get back to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom