pci to pci express

Status
Not open for further replies.

MACaLICHIS

Solid State Member
Hi ppls, not sure if this is possible or im a bit dumb on comps, but is it possible to convert a pci slot to a pci express, can i buy some kind of converter, if not would a new motherboard work. I want to improve my graphics when playin css, at the mo im gettin by on the pure basics. I dont think my computer as a whole is to bad, and so dont want to buy a new 1, but the graphics suck. The graphics card is a geforce fx 5200. PLZ HELP.

No, you would need a new mobo. I believe there is an AGP to PCIE adapter coming out, but not a PCI one

I have never heard of a pci to pci-e converter..., correct me if I am wrong, but a pci couldn't support pci-e...

you will probably need to get a new mainboard..

emachines 620
2.70ghz intel celeron processor
80gb hard drive
geforce fx5200 64mb
512mb ddr

sora forgot the rest of my specs

so if i was to get a new motherboard that had pcie slots then problem solved? could i then buy a new like geforce fx 6800and it would work.

U would have to get a mobo that could fit that case (dun know if emachines use ATX), one with the right CPU socket (do celerons use the same socket as Prescotts?), a 24pin PSU (and a more powerful one). Its not as simply as just getting a new mobo.

You would be better off just building a new comp from the ground up

yea pci-e uses a different bus sytem to pci, and has a much higher bandwidth, so even if you could get a converter, it couldnt run and faster that a pci slot could anyway

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom