external Hard Drive problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe923s

Solid State Member
Ok, so i recently purchased a USB2 external harddrive, 120gb... I have been using it at school to backup my hard drive.. My computer is currently out of commision so i connected it to my old computer at home. Thers a slight problem tho. I had partitioned and formatted it using WinXP and the only computers ive used it on so far were XP. Now i have it connected to a Win98 computer and it says that the drive is not formatted. Is there anyway that i can get this drive to work with win98?? im getting so frusterated with this piece, if i had the money i would buy more ram and install XP, but right now thats not an option... any suggestions?? or is it hopeless?

How did you format the drive with XP? If you formatted the drive using a NTFS file system then the drive may not be readable with Win9x. You will have to use a FAT32 file system with the USB drive.

-Mike

Yip.
Win98 will not read NTFS however WinXP can read both formats.
So it be best to have your USB 120GB HDD in FAT32.

and therefor lose my information.... great, ahhhh nothing is going my way these days...

the only problem is now i have to find someone not only with XP but with over 100GB of harddrive space and is willing to back up my data, not likely...

so then what is the general consensus with partition magic? It may not be worth taking the chance when i might have my laptop back in a couple weeks...

Wait for the laptop,,,

I have had Partition Magic,,, magically F#@k up my HDD on a number of different machines and occassions for use,,,

I dont trust it,, it has a high failure rate in my books,,

Thats my two bits,,

cheers,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom