Swapping out Video Card Nvidia to ATI

Status
Not open for further replies.

demob05

Baseband Member
Just purchased a GeForce 6600 256MB DDR card for my rig, which came with an ATI 9600 Pro 128MB video card. Can't find it in the instructions, but is it recommended to disable/remove the original ATI 9600 Drivers beforing swapping the card out with the new GeForce card?? Or will the change be auto detected, as I'm running Windows XP SP2?
Don't want any conflicts in the system swapping out from an ATI to Nvidia card and causing glitches. Pls advise.

Well it's my opinion, any time you get some new hardware...reformat. If this is too much of a burden you have to dump the ATi drivers all together.

You have to get to add/remove programs in the control panel and find ATi Catalyst drivers. Select remove and then reboot. Install the nVIDIA drivers and then download the latest Forceware update off the web:

www.nvidia.com The newest are 77.72

Thanx for all the tips.. just installed the GeForce 6600 and working good.
Only thing is, for BF2 have to keep down res settings to 800x600 and mostly medium levels for the various textures to keep the framerate playable in the Multiplayer Maps. Even though my card's got 256MB DDR memory (my rig has Pent. 4 3.0 w/ 1024MB system memory).

BF2 put my 6800 GT at 800x600 too in the demo, one thing is on medium the rest high. Make sure you get the latest nVIDIA drivers or the game will be unplayable. If you like, experiment with the settings until you find something comfortable and visually appealing. Also check this guide on how to optimize the PC for BF2 and other power hungry games.

http://gear.ign.com/articles/626/626714p1.html

demob05 said:
Only thing is, for BF2 have to keep down res settings to 800x600 and mostly medium levels for the various textures to keep the framerate playable in the Multiplayer Maps. Even though my card's got 256MB DDR memory (my rig has Pent. 4 3.0 w/ 1024MB system memory).

the 256mb isnt that important, the 6600gt has 128mb and s much better

demob05 said:

If you have to keep your graphics at that, you have a video problem

Actually, I'm now using 1024 x768 32 bit res and using mix of medium & high on the various textures, and is running fine.
I should be able to up it even more, including antialiasing, but I'm keeping my settings on the safe side as all the details look sharp as is, esp. when jumping into the 64 player servers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom